Are implants heavier or lighter than breast tissue?

Do breast implants eventually feel like real breast? Also are they heavy?

That depends if the needs a breast lift or not and on the size of implant they want. The bigger the implant the less natural it's going to look. Now we also have the silicone that are anatomically shaped and that can give a more natural shape, and less of the round shape of the traditional implants.

High profile are taller and narrower implants when compared to moderate profile implants of the same volume.The decision is usually based on the patient breast dimensions, amount of breast that the patient can contribute to the projection and I also factor the patients desires. I try my best to also respect the skin quality and elasticity in order to prevent future drooping due to unnecessarily heavy implants.

over or under muscle doesn't dictate what size implant we can use.  The muscle coverage is helpful in very thin patients and seems to reduce capsular contracture according to some scientific studies. Under the breast tissue is the most natural feel and has a less chance of animation deformity when the pectoralis muscle contracts. In most instances only the top implant is covered by muscle and the reset of the implant ends up under the breast tissue.

Breast Implant vs Breast Tissue

Thank you for this great question! This is actually a very common concern that is heard at most consultations. The silicone breast implants today are designed to act, feel, and move like a natural breast. They are designed to weigh proportionately the same as breast tissue of the same volume. Implant dimensions and size should be proportionate to your breast size and dimensions in order to insure adequate placement and contour for you body frame. I encourage you to discuss dimensions and implant size possibilities with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I hope that you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck! 

Ronald Downs, MD, FACS
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants feel

The newer responsive gel silicone implants feel much more breast like than a water-filled saline implant. The water, will actually feel heavier than breast tissue since it will settle to the bottom of the implant in an upright position. The more cohesive gel, shaped silicone implants, in my opinion, will most of the time feel more stiff than natural breast tissue. There are so many overlying variables as far as the age of the patient and the fat content compared to the glandular content of the breast that can change the way everything feels. Best thing to do would be able to feel the three types of implants for yourself and your plastic surgeons office. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Implants

A silicone gel implant can feel very natural when placed under the muscle.  This all depends on the size that is placed and how much natural breast tissue you have.  Some patients complain of feeling heavy in the first few weeks after surgery, but as the swelling goes away so does the feeling of heaviness.  Please be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consult.  Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Implants can feel natural and not too heavy when proportionate

Hi flyingmukluk. Yes, augmented breasts can feel very natural, especially when a proportionate implant is placed underneath the muscle.  There are several options of fill material that vary the way they feel ( saline, silicone that is responsive is softer than cohesive). The weight varies based upon the fill material and size. When you try on different sizers during your consultation, you will get to feel how light they really are.  In my experience, patients have not developed back or neck pain after augmentation, like experienced by women who qualify for breast reduction surgery. Be sure to find a certified PS who can expand on these. Best wishes,

How similar are implants to breast tissue?

Silicone has a much more natural feel than saline. Ultimately the 'naturalness' of the result depends upon how large the implant is and how much existing breast tissue you have. Some patients report that the implants do feel 'heavy' shortly after surgery but this feeling typically goes away; this also depends upon the size of the implant. 

Weight of Implants

Silicone, cohesive gel implants move and feel very much like natural breast tissue. Breast tissue can be made up of variations of glandular tissue and fat with different weight/density but silicone implants tends to feel/weigh about the same.

All the best

Feel of implants

From a weight standpoint, the weight of implants are very similar to native breast tissue.  Of course your breasts will feel heavier because you are adding to what you already have.  They will never actually feel like real breasts to you, but they can look very natural when properly done, and will become something that you just become used to and comfortable with over time.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon