Scraped knee was/is infected. Can I have breast augmentation surgery tomorrow? (photo)

I have a breast augmentation surgery scheduled for tomorrow. About a week ago I fell on pavement and scraped my knee. There was/is an infection. My surgeon said if there is an active infection, he will likely not be able to proceed with a surgery. I formed a yellow scab over the wound. Pic attached. Will I be able to have a surgery tomorrow?

Contact your surgeon

You should notify your plastic surgeon right away. They are the ones that should make the decision as to whether you should proceed with surgery. 

Infection

You should contact your surgeon's office, but if you are otherwise well with no systemic signs of infection you should be fine to go ahead. 

Atul Kesarwani, MD, FRCSC

Contact your doctor

This would be a decision for your operating surgeon. Contact his or her office and inform your surgeon of all your medications and symptoms. Best wishes. 

Dean Vistnes, MD. 

Vistnes Plastic Surgery

San Francisco Bay 

#drdeanvistnes #realself #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Scraped knee was/is infected. Can I have breast augmentation surgery tomorrow?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, if your having fever, probably you have an infection, consult your regular doctor so can help you with your condition. If you do not have any symptom you should be able to have surgery safely.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast augmentation with infected knee

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Your surgeon has to be the one to decide whether or not to operate.
  • If you have an active infection, your surgery is likely to be cancelled.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Ok to proceed

It appears the knee is healing alright, have you been running a fever or have any chills?  If it is just the wound on the knee and no other symptoms, more than likely your surgeon will proceed with the surgery. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation

You have a surface level problem elsewhere and the photo does not show cellulitis or tissue infection. You should be OK to go ahead with augmentation. But please run this issue with your plastic surgeon so that he can examine you in person before the procedure. 

Matthias Solomon, MD

Most likely yes

I am pretty sure you have a localized problem.  As long as you have no fever, you should be good to go.

Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation with an infection

Thank you for your question.  It is never a good idea to have breast augmentation surgery with an active infection.  You will have a very high risk of infecting your implants or causing other problems (capsular contracture, etc.)  You should see your plastic surgeon in person and only he can make the decision of whether or not to operate.  The picture doesn't look too bad though; difficult to tell if it is infected or just healing.  

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon