I have loose skin after a full Tummy Tuck. Is this normal? (photos)

i weigh 135 im 5..2 i had a FULL TT Aug10 // 2014 Two questions >> is this normal to have all this loose skin .. im still a little swollen and a bit sore to sneeze .. when this swelling goes down more am i going to get even more loose ...this is ugly

Loose skin??

i think you have a very nice result.  i agree with the below comment about geometry.  if there was not some loose skin when you bent over then you would not be able to stand up

Newark Plastic Surgeon

I have loose skin after a full Tummy Tuck. Is this normal?

Simple geometry is occurring. In the upright position looks tight/flat. But when you bend over the distance decreases thus the wave effect in your skin.. 

Unhappy with excess skin after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

• I understand your concern - your do have loose central skin,
  • Without a pre-op photo to compare, it is hard to know your starting point.
  • When you stand up, there is no lower abdominal excess skin.
  • If you had massive stretching from repeated pregnancies or major weight loss, you may want removal of additional skin in 6 months, using a vertical incision - but it leaves a visible scar in the central tummy.
  • Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this information was helpful.

Excess skin

Thanks for the pictures. I do not perceive any loose skin. You will have some skin laxity. That is normal. I think your result is good.  

Loose skin after a full tummy tuck

It would be impossible to get a super taught tummy if you have horizontal skin laxity and it appears that you do.  You would need an incision that is in the midline to correct that.

I think you have a very nice result and an incision in the mid line would not be worth it.

Everyone will have loose skin when bending over, otherwise there wouldn't be enough skin to allow you to stand up. You may continue to have swelling for over 6 months after a tummy tuck.

Loose skin after tummy tucks

I am curious if you had significant weight loss prior to surgery as you can still have loose skin due to loss of elasticity with pre -stretched skin that often can't be totally corrected with one procedure due to the initial limits of tension on the primary closure. There might be a vertical component that would require a scar down the middle of the abdomen to take out extra skin. Also you can not judge excess skin when you are seated or bending over as many women and men have excess skin in these positions that are in excellent shape and have not had tummy tucks. the standing position shows what most would consider a nice TT outcome.

David Liland, MD

3 months

The photos are not ideal in that they don't show the entire abdomen, and there are no before photos. The erect photos show no loose skin.  When you bend forward, or sit, the chest and pelvis come closer together.  The abdominal skin has lost all or most of its elasticity (or you would not have needed a tummy tuck), and it buckles and folds in that position. 

It appears from the photos that there is some laxity in the horizontal direction, which is not addressed by a standard tummy tuck. This can be improved by a "vertical" tuck, but the tradeoff is a vertical incision from chest to pelvis.

All the best. 

Loose skin after tummy tuck

Dear Maria,

Some loose skin is always present after a tummy tuck when in the sitting position.  It does appear however that additional skin removal may have been possible.  Since it is still early after your tummy tuck, I would wait longer to see if improvement is seen with additional healing/swelling resolution.  Correction of loose skin after a tummy tuck usually requires a tummy tuck revision.  Its essentially re-doing the tummy tuck  to allow more skin to be removed.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Loos skin after a tummy tuck

I can see your concerns shown in the picture . . . after a full abdominoplasty, I would bet that there is a dramatic improvement from your preoperative photos that we could appreciate. Unfortunately, there are limitations to what we can achieve surgically, and we can't improve the inherent elastic character of the skin we leave behind. One could convert to a fleur-de-lis, but that would leave a horizontal scar up the middle of your abdomen . . . it is a trade-off . . .

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon