Will injecting Botox into the Buccinator muscle make my face appear slimmer?

I've already had botox injected into the masseter however my face is really chubby and i would like it to slim down even more

Botox

Dear rcdivina,

Thank you for your clinical post and question. If you actually meant buccinator muscle, this is a deep muscle in the cheek and behind which the buccal fat pad resides. The buccinator helps during mastication and phonation and injecting it with Botox will not change your facial appearance at all.

However, if you meant the masseter muscle injecting this with Botox can definitely decrease the transverse width of your lower third of your face.

This is more common in certain races such as a Japanese and Korean faces who have large hypertrophy masseters and injecting them can provide a much more oval look. Generally, 60 or more units is required in each masseter and this will soften the mandibular border and angle in those individuals with wide lower faces.
I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

Will injecting Botox into the Buccinator muscle make my face appear slimmer

I think what you mean is should you get botox injected into your masseter muscle. If that alone does not slim your face down, you may have to actually get your buccal fat pads removed by a facial plastic surgeon. Good luck, Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Reducing a round face

Masseter injection often provides a dramatic narrowing of the angle of the jaw however if your face is rounded buccal fat pad removal can result in narrowing and flattening of your cheeks as well as highlighting of your cheek bones.  For appropriate full faced individuals the results can be very rewarding.
Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified American Bd. of Plastic Surgery (ABPS)
ABC TV Extreme Makeover plastic surgeon
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Don't get buccinator muscle injected with Botox

You will end up will problems smiling after injection in this area. If you want slimming after having the masseters appropriately injected, then consult a surgeon to consider buccal fat removal. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox

Without pictures it is difficult to tell what is making your face chubby. I doubt that it is the buccinator muscle. There is a fat pad in that area called the buccal fat pad and that may be the cause of your chubby appearance. I would talk to a board-certified plastic surgeon about this and they may suggest excision of that buccal fat pad.Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Botox to slim face

You have posted no pictures to indicate why your face is "really chubby". If its fat, then Botox will do nothing. If its Bone, then Botox will do nothing. If if excess facial volume is due to masseter muscle hypertrophy then longterm proper injection of Botox will atrophy the muscle and reduce the volume. Buccinator muscle hypertrophy is not the reason for "chubby" face and should not be injected with Botox as it will cause problems with oral competence.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Masseter Injection and Botox

It is really best just to inject the masseter muscle to slim the face with Botox.  Please consult an expert with Botox for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green