Dog ear/standing cone deformity at top of surgical incision on cheek. How do I remove this? (photos)

Hello. I am hoping that someone can please help alleviate my concerns. I had scar revision performed on my cheek two weeks ago (from a previous motor vehicle accident) and there is a large lump at the top of the scar. It is my understanding that this is a dog-ear/standing cone deformity. What can be done to remove this? How long do I have to wait before any medical intervention? I am hoping that this can be resolved or removed as soon as possible. Please advise. Thank you for your help.

Standing cones 2 weeks post op

2 weeks post op is relatively a short period of time. First you need to massage the scar with some Silicone gel. it will help to flatten the scar. I usually wait about 6 months before performing a surgical excision of the cones. 

Take Time to Heal--Scar Revision

I recommend using silicone gel with growth factors while you heal. After healing, this can be improved with lasers, microneedling/prp,fillers, and possible excision. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Dog ear?

You are only two weeks out from surgery, and this may be related to swelling as well. You need to give it time to settle first.

Dog ear/standing cone deformity at top of surgical incision on cheek. How do I remove this?

Give it some time for swelling to resolve. If not resolved, ask your surgeon to cut out the extra tissue. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Treatment of standing cone deformity

Natalie, you are correct in identifying this result of scar revision, but it can be revised if need be down the road. Your doctor may advise trying silastic sheeting or a scar gel topically for at least 6 weeks, which may help somewhat. You can purchase some of these products over the counter at your pharmacy. A vert limited surgery can be performed if it does not resolve within 3 to 6 months.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dog ear vs swelling

Your doctor has tried to keep the incision as relatively short as possible. There may be a little dog ear there or it may just be swelling. Please contact them as they may advise massage to the area. Let it settle down and in 4-6 months you will know if it went away or if a revision may be needed.