Will my ab muscles still look the same after tummy tuck surgery?

If I have visible abs prior to a full tummy tuck surgery and hernia repair ,will my abs still be visible after the tummy tuck surgery or will they somehow appear differently ?

Ab muscles after tummy tuck

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "the same" but I have several tummy tuck patients who have gone on to fitness modeling with beautiful muscle definition. A visible "6 pack" is definitely possible after a tummy tuck if you stay lean and fit!

If your abs ("six-pack" muscles) are visible pre-tummy tuck, this means you have a thin fat layer through which the muscular definition and the tendinous inscriptions are visible, plus excess loose skin for which you apparently seek the tummy tuck, and some degree of diastasis (widening of the midline fascia) as a result of pregnancy (or previous obesity) needing repair (muscle tightening). Sometimes the diastasis is torn, and a hernia is present. So, if you are seeking a tummy tuck, your pre-op anatomy is not "normal," and of course you don't want things to "look the same" post-op!

But if you are talking about the muscular definition and "six pack" appearance, no fat is added with tummy tuck, muscular fascia is repaired in the midline (muscle tightening should be part of nearly EVERY tummy tuck--how can you have loose skin and not have stretching of the muscular fascia?), and skin is removed and tightened. Most tummy tuck patients do not start with visible abs, and unless the fatty layer is altered with diet or liposuction, it won't be visible after either. But if your pre-op fat is minimal and you can see your abs before surgery, once swelling goes down, nothing has been added, and visible definition (with normalized anatomy) will return.

This takes months, however, so be patient and watch diet and exercise post-op. A well-performed tummy tuck improves appearance, and as the scarring fades, a renewed abdominal contour emerges! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal muscles after tummy tuck

Your abdominal muscle definition may look different after a tummy tuck. With most tummy tucks there is a tightening of the fascia between the abdominal muscles.  This decreases your girth, giving you a slimmer contour. This may change the appearance of your pre-existing muscle definition, but your shape will be improved.

Good luck.

Atul Kesarwani, MD, FRCSC

Although definitive advice/predictions would require in person evaluation, is likely that the appearance of your abdominal wall muscles will remain unchanged after a well executed tummy tuck procedure. Best wishes.

Abdominal look

Once the swelling comes down, your abs should look tighter and closer together after surgery if a muscle plication is performed.

Will my ab muscles still look the same after TT surgery?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Though you may temporarily see a difference in your abdominal definition due to the normal swelling of surgery, long-term your ab appearance will still be the same, if not improved, with the removal of excess stomach skin and fat.  Hope this helps.

Usually the plication can be done in anatomic fashion to preserve the underlying anatomy.