Opinions of belly button post tummy tuck? (Photos)

I hate the look of my coin slot belly button after tummy tuck. Would love opinions about the look of it... Wondering what my options are. Scared to have surgeon redo it because I'm afraid It may turn out even worse.

Positioning of Belly Button Post-Op

Hello, and thank you for your question. Without knowing the length of time since your procedure or if you are still feeling any sort of swelling or other issues it may be hard to tell by photos if this is the final result. But, here are some basic healing points that I provide to patients:

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

You should understand that the price of your procedure includes several follow-up visits so that the healing process can be examined while you are healing. You will be able to get some more detailed advice on your specific case from your surgeon. Good luck.

Opinions of belly button post tummy tuck?

I don't see any asymmetry or widen scar to be concerned about. How far out of surgery are you?

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Belly button

If you are a year or longer out from surgery, then a revision might be possible. Widening the opening should be possible.

Belly button after tummy tuck

You should allow 6-12 months for final healing as your belly button may change. Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended to address your concerns and any options.

Harry T. Haramis, MD, FACS
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Tummytuck Scars

I appreciate your concern, but your photos demonstrate an overall very nice result. Since it takes a full year for scars to mature and settle down, try to stay patient and ask your surgeon about the best ways to treat your scars. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Certain belly buttons are easier to remedy than others.  The current appearance can be remedied by widening the appearance.

Understandably, the appearance of the umbilicus is of great importance to many patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery; after all, it may be the only telltale sign of having undergone the tummy tuck surgery when the patient is wearing a swimming suit or undergarments. The umbilicus should be positioned carefully; if it is too high or too low, it may be a sign of tummy tuck surgery. If it is too round or slit like it may also look "surgical". Most patients prefer a relatively small and oval-shaped umbilicus. 

In your case, revisionary surgery will likely improve  appearance of your umbilicus to your liking. Making it smaller and less "slot" like can be done when the time is right. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to more specific advice. Best wishes.