24, 5'1", 34A, 100lbs. 350 cc too small/too big? Want full D (Photo)

I'm 24, 5"1, 100 lbs, 34A, no kids debating on cc sizes! I am aiming for full D. I originally wanted 330cc but after doing some research, it looks a little small. I know it looks different from person to person, but it's been giving me a general idea on how it might look on me so I decided maybe 350cc. I wouldn't go for anything 400+ as I have a petite frame and my biggest fear is being top heavy! Any suggestions?

Picking the right implant to achieve your goals

Implant size selection is the most common question for breast augmentation patients.  In terms of picking the right implants to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning and 2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall.  Hence a physical exam is really needed to give you any meaningful advice.  

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural  fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu Houston, TX

Implant size to go from A to D cup

Breast Implant Size is a combination of subjective and objective criteria.There is not a direct correlation between the cc's of a breast implant and the corresponding cup size, as cup size is an inexact measurement that varies considerably among companies and even within the same company. Online consultants will not be able to guide you as well as surgeons who perform in person consultation.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast implants

Dear Anonymous meow,

Thank you for your clinical post and photographs. Your dilemma is a common one that is what is the best size and shaped implant to achieve, the balance and figure, shape and form that you are seeking. All bodies are different and different morphologies, shoulder girdles and pelvic inlets can be balanced with different sized implants. This often makes deciding on implant sizing difficult for patients. However, about 7 years ago I invested in the Vectra 3D imaging photo station. This has made the pre-operative process of deciding on the right implant size and shape for a particular patient much easier.

With the Vectra 3D you get a three-dimensional image of your breast, shoulder and waist and can rotate in different angles and positions in three-dimensions and try on different size implants to get a simulated post-operative view. Having done this for the better part of a decade, the simulated post-op 3D Vectra images are very very close to the actual 6 months post-op results. This allows patients the reassurance of the opportunity to “try before you buy.” You can try different height projection and shaped implants until you get the type of cleavage and lateral breast width and implant height that you want.

During the consultation I would do a thorough examination, make measurements and then provide you three or four sized implants I think will achieve your aesthetic goals. The benefit of this process is then you get to try these three or four implants on in the 3D Vectra imaging which is much more accurate than simply putting simulated implants in a bra and trying on a tight t-shirt as it gives you the actual physical appearance and shape of your naked figure for you to analyze.

Since instituting this process, I have virtually no patients who are unhappy with the size and shaped implant that have been selected.

I would encourage you to seek out several consultations to find out the surgeon and team that best fits your needs and ensure that you do some Vectra 3D imaging to help you in your decision process.

I’m sure you’ll end up with an excellent result. To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Sounds like a reasonable size

Certainly, you'd be using a moderate Plus or high profile implant.  You just don't want to use an implant that is wider than your breast.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Dimensional Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your questions and photos. It appears that you are starting from a good place and you will probably gain a lot more clarity from seeing a board certified Plastic Surgeon in person. I would examine and measure you carefully, then recommend implant type/size based on your aesthetic goals and your dimensions. This ensures a result which is proportionate with your frame and natural looking, no matter the size. 
You are correct in that Implants look different on different people and if you are petite, your ideal implant choices will likely be a smaller range.

My patients find it helpful to try on implants in a form fitting t-shirt in the office to get a 3D feel for the volume they like.

The next step is to book your appointment,

All the best

Ideal breast size after surgery

The ideal size of a breast augmentation is patient dependant.  It is subjective like art.  With that said all surgeons have a preference as well.  I prefer a beautiful, fuller but natural looking result.  Other surgeons love the large fake look.  In order to make sure that your surgeon gives you what you want, you have to make sure they know what you want.  I do a number of things to try and best match my patient's goals and to the implant and the final cosmetic result.  At the end of the day you have to trust that your surgeon is going to customize your breast augmentation taking into consideration your breast and body size and goals.  The more information, through words, photos and measurement that your surgeon has, the better they can match the results you want.  An added step I do is bring several trial sizers to the operation and trial different breast implants to see which is the perfect choice.  Several may be good.  But good is not the goal.  Perfect is!  The extra step is worth it.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training Program &
Assistant Clinical Professor,
McMaster University

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Want full D

Thank you for your question.  I would focus less on the final bra cup size since each bra manufacturer sizes their bras differently.  I tell my patients to aim for a desired appearance rather than cup size.  Some surgeons have sizing systems in their office to help patients visualize what different size implants would look like, other surgeons have 3D imaging systems.  Despite very good planning on the part of the patient and surgeon, some patients are still disappointed after surgery with some wishing they had gone larger and others wishing they had gone smaller.  That being said, most patients are happy with their result if they are the same page as their surgeon based on the preoperative planning/discussions.  Implant choice depends on the width of your breasts and your desired volume.  High profile or ultra high profile implants will provide the most volume for a certain breast width.  Hope this helps.

Implant Not too Big, Not too Small

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “D” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below.
#BA
#BreastAugmentation
#implantsize

Implants

Choosing the right implants for you is best decided after an in-office consultations to review you goals and your anatomy. Good luck.

24, 5'1", 34A, 100lbs. 350 cc breast implant too small/too big? Want full D

The proper implant size will be based on the base width of your breast which should be measured by your plastic surgeon. Also, choose a plastic surgeon who has a breast implant sizing system available to place implant sizers into your bra so you can see how they look on you. Figure 150-200cc to enlarge you by one cup size in the same style and manufacturer of bra that you currently wear. For more on sizing please read below: