Tightening the Excess Skin Inside the Forearm? (photo)

Is there a surgical procedure to eliminate the saggy skin inside the forearm to the elbow? I had an arm lift one year ago and did not address this problem.

Arm lift arm reduction brachioplasty forearm lift arm liposuction massive weight loss excess skin

Yes, there is a surgical procedure to remove excess skin and fat from your forearms. Not having physically examined you, I can only base my answer on your photograph. If your skin tone and skin elasticity is "good", I would suggest forearm liposuction.  After your forearm liposuction, compression garments will be essential for at least 2 months. If your skin tone is "poor", I would suggest an incision.  Typically, the forearm incision extends from the arm reduction or brachioplasty incision down the forearm.  This surgery will remove excess skin and fat from the forearm, however, the forearm scar is more visible.  Another alternative is to extend the incision around the elbow and draw the skin toward the elbow.  This scar is better concealed, however, this incision does not remove as much skin and fat.  
Either way, please find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience in weight loss patients who has performed many arm lifts or brachioplasty procedures. I hope my answer has helped you.  Good luck.  

Tightening the Excess Skin Inside the Forearm?

The incision from the previous arm lift can likely be extended to remove the redundancy.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

The Treatment Of Loose Forearm Skin

Although your pictures are helpful, it's virtually impossible to make a specific treatment recommendation without a physical examination. Standard brachioplasty procedures don't impact the area below the elbow. When isolated upper arm lifts are performed, tightening the skin above the elbow can accentuate deformities below the elbow. I suspect this is what's happened in your case.

When this situation arises in someone who's already had a brachioplasty, conversion of the original procedure to an extended brachioplasty is appropriate. This would involve extending the previous incisions across the elbow to improve forearm contour. This type of procedure involves trade-offs between loose saggy forearm skin and scarring. For this reason, it's important to thoroughly understand the pros and cons of extended brachioplasty surgery.

Under these circumstances, it's appropriate to discuss your surgical options with your surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

It is very likely that your existing arm lifting scar can be extended to eliminate the skin of concern. Discuss your questions/concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Loose skin near forearm

Since you have already had an arm lift, the incision can be extended to include that loose skin.  However, to make that determination, a formal physical examination should be performed.

Arm Lift Procedures

There are a variety of techniques used to preform arm lift procedures.  Typically, prior arm lift scars can be incorporated to further reduce any residual skin redundancy.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon