Does Thick Scar Tissue on Neck After Platysmaplasty and Submental Lipectomy Go Away on It's Own?

I am 2.5 weeks post-op on a platysmaplasty with submental lipectomy. The first 1.5 weeks everything looked great! At that point, very thick, unsightly scar tissue began to form on my neck right under my chin. It has gotten worse this past week, with puckering and raised indented areas. I have been told this kind of tissue can go away completely on its own. Can it? And what timeline am I looking at, in general? A month? Two years? I feel deformed and severely depressed because of these results.

Scar tissue after neck lift.

photos would b helpful, as it is not clear to me if the area in question is under the skin, or on the skin.
2.5 weeks after surgery is still early on the healing process, puckering and raised areas on the skin incision usually improve within two to six months.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck after Corset Platysmaplasty

If you have "thickness" of tissues right under the chin at 2.5 weeks after the Platysmaplasty, it probably represents collection of blood that occured after surgery that has now become  an "organized" hematoma and will resolve with time but can take weeks to months.  You can massage it and you should also return to your surgeon to have it evaluated. Sometimes these areas can be carefully injected with a steroid to resolve them Faster.

Devinder S. Mangat, MD, FACS
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon