Weak chin. Fillers or Botox? (Photos)

I have a weak chin that I would like to do something about. I have orange peel and know Botox can help, but also think I need length. Will Botox add any length or are fillers my only option for this? Or is my case severe enough that I would need an implant?

Achieving Facial Harmony

Thanks for the question! You illustrate a very good point about the proportion of the chin in relation to the rest of the face. In my opinion, a person's chin (or any other single facial feature) has to be assessed in the context of the rest of that person's face and what looks beautiful and proportionate. For instance, a weak chin or an over-projected chin can have profound implications on how someone sees that person's nose projection. Botox- as an agent that prevents muscle activity and therefore dynamic wrinkles associated with that muscle- is not likely to be useful in enhancing projection of the chin. Main options may include fillers, chin implantation, or a surgery to move that part of the jaw forward (known as a genious osseoplasty). In my experience, any are great choices in the correct patient. One advantage of using fillers is that it can give you an idea of how a more permanent solution in the form of an implant or moving the bone would look. It is temporary, relatively inexpensive, and almost painless. It could be a great starting point after consulting with your doctor! 

Las Vegas Physician

Chin Question

Great Question! There are multiple different things you can do to help fix this. The most permanent fix would be a chin implant- this would help your profile the most! I think it would look great. If you do not want to go under the knife you can always inject filler into your chin to help the length. Juvederm Voluma is a great filler and lasts up to 2 years! Botox will definitely help with your orange peel look. Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Weak Chin Treatment Options

Thank you for sharing your question and photos. You are an excellent candidate for Botox to the chin to soften the mentalis muscle. Although it is difficult to tell based on your photos, you may be a good candidate for a chin implant. In my practice, I like to use 3-D volumetric photos to communicate realistic surgical outcomes for chin implants. It is important that your chin is the right size to be in proportion to the rest of your facial features. Without seeing a photo of your full face, it is difficult to evaluate. If you are not ready for surgery, dermal fillers can be used to improve the contour of the chin temporarily. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon who is also an experienced injector in order to evaluate your best treatment options. Best of luck!

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Botox/Filler Chin Treatment

For best results for chin, I
would combine Botox with Filler. With Botox, I treat the mentalis muscle (chin
orange peeling or dimpling) and the the depressor anguli oris muscle (DAO) to
help relax downward pulling of the oral commisures or corners of the mouth. The
dose is approximately 10 units. To help with chin projection, Radiesse Filler
is my favorite filler and I use one or two 1.5 ml syringes. Radiesse and Botox
are a great way to strengthen your chin. It also allows you to quickly see what
you like and with less downtime. If and when you decide, you are still able to
get a chin implant for a more permanent solution in the future.   

Anita Saluja, MD
Melbourne Dermatologist

Weak Chin

Voluma would be a good filler to use in this area.  It can provide you with some length and you can see how you like it before doing something more permanent like a chin implant.  You will also need botox to relax the "orange peel" look to your chin.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Weak Chin Treatment Options: Filler or Botox?

Dear Piper, Thank you for posting your photos with your interesting question. After examining your photographs, you could have Botox injected to relax the mentalis muscle of your chin that produces the "orange peel" look.  Using your profile view photograph, your chin should come close to an imaginary line drawn from your lower lip to the floor. Your chin is behind this line and  a chin implant placed through a very small incision will add the length and will greatly improve your profile. A temporary option would be to inject a temporary filler like Radiesse to augment your chin. I suggest having a consultation with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your treatment options. Best wishes, Richard Swift, M.D.

Options for chin injections

Botox injection can be used to relax the mentalis muscle. This would improve the orange peel appearance of your chin. However, augmenting (re-volumizing) the chin would require a filler. My preferred filler for the chin is Juvederm Voluma although Juvederm UltraPlus, Restylane, Restylane Lyft and Radiesse can be used as well. Fillers offer a temporary result with Voluma lasting up to 2 years. A surgical chin implant is a permanent solution but I usually recommend patients first start with a filler to see if they like the look.

Improving a small chin

Thank you for your question.  Botox does not add volume to a chin.  It can help with wrinkles in the chin caused by facial expression.  Other options to increase volume in the chin would be an implant or injectable filler.  I would suggest a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon.  It is important to evaluate the entire face, including the nose and forehead (which are not shown in your photos) before deciding on a treatment plan.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Weak chin

Although you are a good candidate for a chin implant you might not want to have surgery. Botox and Radiesse can improve this area significantly.Be sure you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Weak chin. Fillers or Botox?

You can use fillers such as Radiesse for temporary mild chin augmentation. Botox can also be used to relax the muscle hyperactivity to help with the dimpling. For long term correction, you may want to consider a genioplasty to lengthen and advance the chin. This can be done by moving the lower part of the bone forward or forward and downward or with implants.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon with experience performing genioplasties or experienced with Radiesse. I think this is by far one of the best fillers for this particular purpose.

Janet Woodyard, MD