Mole excision with and without stitches.

Why would a plastic surgeon choose to not use stitches for a mole excision? I had a consultation not to long ago, and the surgeon specified she wouldn't do the traditional excision method with stitches on the face, and instead would let the wound heal by itself. How is this a possibility?

Mole Removal- To Stitch or Not To Stitch

Mole removal can be accomplished by many techniques including traditional excise and suture techniques, shave and modified shave techniques, laser removal or a combination of the above.  There is no single best method of mole removal and is dependent on provider experience and patient's desired aesthetic outcome.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mole excision

Unless she meant a shave excision in which there would be no stitches involved otherwise I agree stitching gives you better results.

Some surgeons mean that they will only put deep internal dissolvable stitches but not put superficial top stitches but opt to get the wound edges to stick together through adhesive tape for few days.

Firas Al-Niaimi, MSc
London Dermatologist

Sutures after mole excision

I would suggest sutures give the best outcome! Please ask for more details from your surgeon why they don't want to use sutures? You have every right to ask!

To Stitch or Not, That is The Question. Mole Removal Techniques.

Stitching will always give a better outcome unless the closure is very difficult and in that case you should not have excision and should consider a different option . Lasers after mole removal are always best to limit scars.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Removing a mole wth and without stiches

It is very common to remove elevated moles by shaving them off flat with the skin.  Although it frequently doesn't remove the entire mole and there is a chance of the mole partially coming back, it doesn't leave a linear scar that occurs after excising the area and closing it with stitches.  Both methods are commonly used and generally your provider will pick the one that affords you the best outcome.

Seth Kates, MD
Worcester Dermatologic Surgeon