What's the youngest age you can get a hair transplant?

I'm current 21 years old. My hair Line is running a 40 meter dash on me and I'm afraid it will be completely done in 4.3 years. Getting out of the shower makes me look like I have the hair of a 50 year old. It makes me extremely self conscious to the point that people have said I'm quiet now because I don't want anyone to notice the loss. I want to get a transplant but everyone says I'm too young. Is there a right age to do this

Age for Hair Transplant

I like patients to at least be 25-27 years old before considering a surgery as your future hairloss pattern is uncertain.  It's best to meet with an experienced doctor and discuss medical management of hairloss first before trying to move forward with a surgery.  Surgery should never be the first option especially in a patient that is only 21 years old.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

What is the youngest age for a man to get a hair transplant

Before you have a hair transplant. Your biggest enemy is the progressive nature of balding that comes about from genetic male patterned hair loss. What will happen in the next 5 or so years is probably that you will continue losing hair. Your looks ok now, but this is the time to meet with a good doctor who can make the correct diagnosis and start you on the drug finasteride, which is highly effective at stopping progressive balding and possibly reversing it in men of your age. Get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine where your present balding is now, and then after you go on the medications, such measurements will tell if the treatment is working. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern which the Bulk Measurements will show over a one year time frame, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN.

If, for example you are going to develop a Norwood class 6 and 7 balding pattern, patterns which develop well before they young men are 30 years old, you and your doctor must project a worst case scenario before you embark on a hair transplant. . The older you are, the easier it is to predict future hair loss. At 21 years old, it might be difficult if you are not destined to be a Class 6 or 7 pattern, but in your late 20s, the job of predicting is easier.

If you bet on a horse in the Kentucky Derby, you can never be sure that the horse will win until the race is over — likewise, the Class 4A pattern patient (you) may be able to predict the final pattern at the age of 26 or possibly earlier with two measurement of your Bulk Test data one year apart while you are on the drug finesteride.. Don't jump to a hair transplant too quickly as you might find out that you might be Class 6 or 7 balding pattern men.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Right age for a hair transplant

If evaluated by a good doctor, you can have a hair transplant at an early age now.  Despite of what was thought in past now we can give a hair transplant to a very young patient.  In past doctors were advising agaist having a hair transplant at an early age because of:

• Not having microscopic diagnostic techniques to predict future hair loss
  • Not having proper hair loss medications that can prevent hair loss

In past the doctors preferred waiting until the baldness become complete before a hair transplant. Today, we don’t have to wait until the patients become completely bald. We want to prevent patents going bald as much as possible with medication and treat them with hair transplant in order to prevent psychosocial adverse effects of hair loss in early ages. There are two effective medications for hair loss today: Finasteride and Rogaine and if the patient seek medical help when it is too late we will treat his condition with a hair transplant.

Of course when young patients get a hair transplant the surgeon should design a proper hairline which is more mature so it look good when they are older and when they have higher classes of hair loss. 

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant at young age

It is really not your age but the degree, pattern of hair loss and the cause for your hair loss.  If your hair loss is established to be a genetic male pattern hair loss you can get an evaluation for medical,or surgical or both treatment options. Having said that usually most doctors prefer to not do surgery until age 23. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

There is no RULE.  If you are 21 and completely bald and understand the risks with realistic expectations, you can be a great candidate.  If you are 21 and are just starting to bald and don't know exactly how "bald" you will be as you age, doctors are reluctant to recommend surgery because surgery can make you look worse in the long run (without proper understanding and planning).

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Receding hairline at 21 years old

It does appear that your hairline is receding, but there is still time to save the hair that you have! I would recommend going to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who treats hairloss and discuss medical treatment options. Reasons other than a family history of hair loss or genetics should be ruled out. Once you are able to stabilize the hair loss, you can consider planning for hair transplant, if appropriate at that time.

Youngest age for a hair transplant?

21 is my cut-off, but it comes with several large caveats.  If you have a very bad family history, then I would want you to go on Propecia for a year or so before we did the surgery.  Over that time, I would want to see that you tolerate it well and that your hair loss abates.  If I do this surgery on young people with a bad family history, I recommend very, very strongly that you plan on staying on Propecia for life.  

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is the youngest age for hair transplantation

In reality, there is not a cut-off age for hair transplantation. The main concern is the uncertainty of how much hair you will loose and how much hair you will have in the back to transplant. Your pictures right now don't show that you would benefit from a hair transplant. Nevertheless, you would benefit from medical therapies such as minoxidil (Rogaine or Formula 82M), Propecia, low level laser, and PRP (protein rich plasma). These therpaies will help you maintain as much of the hair you have right now as possible.

What's the right age for a transplant?

Sounds like you've spoken to a few people about the right age - congratulations on taking that step

by the photos, yes, it is too early to get a transplant. 25 is often given as a cut off but certainly there is no "rule" - and I've operated on 23 and 24 year olds under rare circumstances 

the key is understanding two things:

1. There is a limited supply of donor hair
2. For some men there can be a very large area of balding well beyond what the recipient area can cover

options at 21 include "medical" options minoxidil, finasteride, low level laser and platelet rich plasma as well as camouflaging options and micropigmentation. 

The fact that you feel your hair is on a 40m dash means your hair loss is presently what we call "unstable." Certainly patients with unstable hair loss are never good candidates for surgery regardless of their age. Step 1 is without question is stabilizing your hair loss with medications discussed above.