There is a piece of flesh poking out on a seam where my armpits were sewn. What's going on? (photo)

Separate from larger wound separation, I had a tiny red/wet spot on the seam where my armpits were sewn together. This separation seemed to be healing but now there is a piece of flesh poking out - it seems like this flesh belongs inside. It's very bizarre. Any ideas as to whats going on? Thanks!

Management of Wound Separation

It's not unusual for patients to have small areas of separation along surgical incisions which ultimately, heal by forming granulation tissue. Although your pictures are difficult to interpret, your history suggest that you've had a small wound separation that's healing in this manner.

Granulation tissue forms at the base of the wound and provides a support layer for new epithelium which migrates over its surface. In this manner, open areas are able to heal with minimal scarring.

When patients develop areas of wound breakdown, it's important that they be followed closely by their plastic surgeon. This will not only facilitate wound healing, but minimize the potential for secondary complications, as well.

Wound Healing Problem after Arm Lifting?

Congratulations on having undergone the arm lifting procedure. Although difficult to interpret yorr picture, it is probable that you are dealing with a small area of “delayed wound healing”. You are doing the right thing by contacting your plastic surgeon who will be in the best position to advise/reassure you in the most meaningful fashion (after examination).

Delayed Healing

You have a small amount of delayed healing of your incision as a result of the area that was treated.  This issues should resolve with time and healing. All  the best.

flesh poking out

Thanks for your question and photo. Although it is out of focus, what this is is nothing to worry about. It looks like there may have been a smaller open wound that had some protruding "granulation" tissue that has healed over.

Your surgeon can snip this off with some fine scissors.

All the best .

Piece of Flesh Outside after Arm Lift

I really cannot tell much from the picture to be honest.  If there is a small piece of dermis that was not sewn or a piece of tissue that has emerged from the incision, this could be revised in about a minute.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA