Is it common or possible for a Tummy Tuck scar to stretch? (photo)

I saw a friend today who's scar has stretched about a cm wide. I am not fussed about this if it's something that might happen but if this is inevitable how can I prevent it ? The photo included was from Google not mine or my friends

Tummy Tuck Scars

Yes, it is possible for abdominoplasty scars to widen with time. The central portion of the scar where the most tension occurs can widen. At our practice we suggest using scar massage with silicone gel or silicone gel sheets to apply to the scar to help make sure they are as soft and discreet as possible.

Kalispell Physician

Scar stretching

Yes it is possible for tummy tuck scars to stretch.  They are under significantly more tension than a C-section scar for example.  The photo above demonstrates a wide scars and "track marks" which can both be minimized with good technique.  Most plastic surgeons do not place sutures through the skin on tummy tucks that have to be removed as would be indicated by the photograph.  Regardless keep in mind that the improvements in shape/contour are at the expense of having a long scar.  If scar is not healing well there are many modalities that can be employed to treat the particular scar condition.  Best of luck

Scarring

Scars can stretch over time depending on the quality of skin and tension on the area.  There are many scar treatments available to help minimize scarring.  Our practice has found great results with the use of Embrace products for scarring.  

Camille Cash, MD

Scars

Yes, some scars may stretch from activities over time. How much stretching will occur depends upon your skin. However, there are some nonsurgical scar treatments that can be helpful to minimize the scar.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Scar

Any scars can stretch especially if they are under tension.  To help with that, your surgeon can use taping and silicone sheeting.  Also, typically patients remain hunched over for a few weeks after abdominoplasty so as not to put tension on the wound. 

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon