Tummy tuck with SVT.

I'm 42 5"2 166 lb I'm overall healthy despite the irregular (PSVT) I've had them for years since 2002 ,but according to my heart ECO and heart-stress tests, my cardiologist says my heart is normal. He has prescribed me Beta blockers (metoprolol 25 mg ) To control the palpitations. These irregular heart beat are random also my hemoglobin is 10.5 so I'm anemic Is it safe to go under general anesthesia with this heart issue I prfer to do my surgery in hospital setting to be safe

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. If your cardiologist clears you for surgery, then you can proceed forward.  If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Tummy tuck

I agree with you that undergoing this surgery in the hospital setting would be recommended.  You also would be well advised to investigate the cause of your anemia and have it corrected prior to surgery.    Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Tummy tuck clearance

Dear Joory,

Paroxismal supra ventricular tachicardia  is not a contra indication for surgery as long as it is under control and your cardiologist clears you for surgery. It can be done in a hospital or accredited surgery center. Your anemia might play a role in provoking your PSVT, so you should have your internist investigate the reason for the anemia. If it is due to your periods, than Iron pills should bring your hemoglobin to normal level. 

You BMI is high (30) and your ideal weight is 140 pounds,  but , if your stomach is flat when you lie on your back,  you are a good candidate for surgery. More over, tummy tuck can help you lose weight due to the tightening of abdominal muscles which will reduce the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger.

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with flat stomach, low scar and nice belly button.

Dr Widder

Medical problems

You have a number of issues -- your BMI is over 30 which makes you an iffy candidate for a tummy tuck. The anemia needs to be treated before, you need to be on iron and get your hemaglobin up. As you get closer to being in shape ( weight loss , anemia correction) a cardiology consult with clearance would be needed too. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck safety with a cardiac issue.

Thanks for your question. With your cardiac issues and anemia it is important that all involved make sure the risk of your surgery is low.  It is important that your surgeon, cardiologist, anesthetist and even your internist are all on the same page.  You will likely require a cardiac clearance and depending on the risk your surgeon can decide where ( and if) it is reasonable to perform your surgery. It would be good if your blood count were corrected before surgery as well. A board certified plastic surgeon will and should help to send you down the safest path. 

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

You're right to be cautious

You are doing all the right things -- you've seen your Cardiologist, you're on medication and you know what's going on.  Now, find a reputable surgeon.  Although it is likely safe to have surgery at an outpatient or office-based facility, asking that it be done in the hospital will ensure that your surgeon is a real Plastic Surgeon! Find an ASPS or ASAPS member in your area and go for the consultaion.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck question

Whether or not it is safe to undergo this procedure with your underlying cardiac issues is a question for your cardiologist to answer. You should also discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  They will  work together to ensure the safest setting and  you are optimally prepared preoperatively.

Tummy tuck and medical issues

You will have to get medical clearance from your cardiologist and might need to treat your anemia first before having surgery. Best to discuss with your surgeon.

Tummy tuck and other medical issues

By asking these questions you seem to realize that various medical issues can increase the risk associated with any operation.  It appears that your cardiologist feels that with beta blockers you are otherwise cleared from his perspective.  You also mention that you are anemic and your height and weight indicate that you have an elevated BMI.  These medical issues should be addressed before you have surgery, but I encourage you to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon in your community to better determine whether you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck , and if not how to become one.

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with SVT

Thank you for your question, it is requires your surgeon and specialist agree that it's safe to proceed with surgery. Best to find an ASPS or ASAPS member in your area for Evaultaion and consultation.