Can blepharoplasty cause fat atrophy in the cheek area of the face?

I had blepharoplasty 1 year ago. The 'bags' under the eyes were corrected and the skin smoothed out remarkably well. However, I noticed that my facial features altered - previously I had quite a wide breathe along my cheek line. Once swelling subsided, my cheeks now appear 'dropped'. Can this occur or do surgeons reposition fat from around the cheeks to smooth out the lower eyelid area? Also, my eyes were too tightly pinched as the outer corners were sewn back. Can this be corrected? Thank you.

Blepharoplasty and Fat Atrophy

Typically fat would not be transferred from the cheek to the lower eyelids and it is unusual for a lower blepharoplasty to affect the cheek in any way.If the eyes are tightly pinched then this could be from a canthopexy or canthoplasty.If this does not settle down than this can be revised if needed.

Cheeks changing after blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question. With the classic lower eyelid blepharoplasty fat that herniates out of the orbit is either removed or trans positioned to fill in the hollows under the eyelids.  Cheek fat is usually not address - but sometimes when significant fat is removed the cheek/eye junction can appear more sunken, even though the anatomy of the cheeks have not been altered.  If the outer corners are still too tight one year out, they can be revised.  It is worth seeing your surgeon to follow up and express your concerns.  Good luck.

David Magilke, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can blepharoplasty cause fat atrophy of the cheek?

When blepharoplasty is performed on the lower eyelids, the herniated fat is addressed and may be removed or repositioned.  Normally, fat from the cheek would not be repositioned with this procedure and fat atrophy should not occur in the cheek after a lower blepharoplasty.  Pictures of your eyes before and after surgery would be helpful to give you further advice.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can blepharoplasty cause fat atrophy in the cheek area of the face

Thank you for your question. A photo would be helpful.  A lower eyelid blepharoplasty will not cause cheek atrophy,   Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Best wishes. 

Blepharoplasty and Fat Atrophy

Typically eyelid surgery has no relationship to the atrophy of the cheek area. Atrophy is caused by factors such as aging, genetics, lifestyle, and hormonal changes. There are some procedures where fat can be repositioned in the malar area through the lower eyelid incision, but this is not as common as it used to be. Most surgeons are now using fat grafting and volume to treat facial wasting.

Can blepharoplasy cause cheek fat atrophy?

A classic blepharoplasty should not cause atrophy of the cheek fat. The fat inside the orbit which forms the "fat bags" is repositioned to the cheek to create a smooth transition between the lid and the cheek. Sometimes the surgery can unmask a hollowed upper cheek that wasn't noticed before. I suggest you share before and after pictures to help you better understand the problem.

Mohammed Alghoul, MD