I did Hot yoga 24 hrs after Botox. Am I okay?

I got Botox for the first time in my "11" wrinkles in between my eyebrows due to me over using that face muscle during sleep. I did notice a slight improvement the next morning. I went to hot yoga (105 degrees with 40% humidity) 24 hrs after and I had a headache after but figured I would take Advil and not worry. When I woke up this morning I feel like my wrinkles are back. Did I sweat it out or allow it to go in an area where I can have side effects?

Hot yoga 24 hours after Botox, did I ruin it?

There should be no effect on the Botox with the yoga. Typically, Botox takes a few days to kick in. I would just wait a week for the full effects to kick in. If you are not happy at this point, please discuss with your provider.

Hot Yoga after Botox

Thank you for your question lulu9856. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. After a Botox treatment I recommend that my patients avoid heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours and avoid lying flat for 4 hours. The pivotal studies demonstrated that the peak effects of Botox are seen 14 days after the treatment. In our office we have our patients return at that time to assess the results. Patience is important. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox and yoga

Normally 24hrs post Botox injections you can go back to your exercise routine. There should be no problem affecting the Botox, however the results takes up to 10 days to kick in . I would wait a few days to see the results.

Joseph Doumit, MD
Montreal Dermatologist

Heat after Botox

We typically strongly counsel patients not to engage in any strenuous activity or heat exposure for at least 24 hours after injection, to avoid abnormal spread. If you do not notice any complications, give it at least 1-2 weeks and then consult with your practitioner if you aren't happy.

Reza Tirgari, MD
San Diego Physician

Botox Injections

Thank you for your question. I advise my patients to avoid strenuous working out for 24 hours as well. Some may start to see the effects of Botox kicking in after a few days but just a reminder it can take 7-14 days for the full effect. 

Leonard Lu, MD

Botox & Yoga

Thank you for your inquiry. i advise all my patients to refrain for any physical activity for 4 hours after botox treatments. If you did yoga 24hrs later, there should be no problem. Results are normally visible after 2 - 3 days and on some patients a full 14 days, so wait 2 weeks and then reassess your results with your board certified plastic surgeon. Regards,

Botox results and exercise

There should be no effect from the yoga on your Botox results. Typically, it takes a few days to start seeing you Botox results. The peak results can take up to 2 weeks to see. If you are not happy with your results at 14 days, then I would followup with your provider. Otherwise, nothing to worry about.

Hot yoga after Botox

Thank you for your question. Heat and/or humidity, as experienced in hot yoga, does not have any affect on Botox. Botox also takes several days to achieve its full effect.  

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox: improved wrinkles day 1, wrinkles back day 2, wrinkles improved day 3

Botox is a medication injected into target muscles of the face to selectively weaken them for fewer/softer wrinkles.

On day 1, the fluid from the injection can stretch the skin, improving the wrinkles. 

On day 2, the fluid is absorbed and the wrinkles return.

On day 3, the Botox starts to work on the muscles. The full result will be seen by day 7. 

If you have any questions, I recommend discussing it with your doctor. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hatha Yoga 24 hrs after Botox

You can even run a marathon 24 hrs after Botox, the results will not be affected! One should not bend their head down or lie down flat for about 4-6 hrs, and not massage the area; that's it! You are fine! It will take about 3-5 days for you to start noticing the results, if the right dose was injected to the right muscles and a peak effect will reach in about 10-14 days. 

(On a side note, its actually "Hatha-Yoga", meaning advanced or more difficult Yoga. This Sanskrit term has been "murdered" and butchered in the English-speaking world, like many other Sanskrit words!! There is nothing HOT about this type of Yoga!). Congratulations on your advanced Yoga and enjoy the results of Botox meanwhile; you will look your BEST in a few days!

Ram Chandra, MD
Edison Physician