I did Hot yoga 24 hrs after Botox. Am I okay?

I got Botox for the first time in my "11" wrinkles in between my eyebrows due to me over using that face muscle during sleep. I did notice a slight improvement the next morning. I went to hot yoga (105 degrees with 40% humidity) 24 hrs after and I had a headache after but figured I would take Advil and not worry. When I woke up this morning I feel like my wrinkles are back. Did I sweat it out or allow it to go in an area where I can have side effects?

Hot yoga 24 hours after Botox, did I ruin it?

There should be no effect on the Botox with the yoga. Typically, Botox takes a few days to kick in. I would just wait a week for the full effects to kick in. If you are not happy at this point, please discuss with your provider.

Hot Yoga Shouldn't Affect Botox

Don't worry about your hot yoga session affecting your Botox results. It usually takes several days, sometimes up to a week, before Botox will completely relax the treated muscles. Generally I recommend that patients refrain from vigorous activity for at least 1 day after Botox. If you don't see an improvement in your “11s” after a week or two, please consult with your board-certified facial plastic surgeon. I hope this helps.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hot Yoga After Botox

Thank you for your question. I always suggest to my patients to avoid strenuous exercise for 1 day after Botox injections. This is to avoid the Botox from shifting. Please contact your treating physician if you have any concerns. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Hot Yoga after Botox

Thank you for your question lulu9856. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. After a Botox treatment I recommend that my patients avoid heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours and avoid lying flat for 4 hours. The pivotal studies demonstrated that the peak effects of Botox are seen 14 days after the treatment. In our office we have our patients return at that time to assess the results. Patience is important. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox and yoga

Normally 24hrs post Botox injections you can go back to your exercise routine. There should be no problem affecting the Botox, however the results takes up to 10 days to kick in . I would wait a few days to see the results.

Joseph Doumit, MD
Montreal Dermatologist

Heat after Botox

We typically strongly counsel patients not to engage in any strenuous activity or heat exposure for at least 24 hours after injection, to avoid abnormal spread. If you do not notice any complications, give it at least 1-2 weeks and then consult with your practitioner if you aren't happy.

Reza Tirgari, MD
San Diego Physician

Botox Injections

Thank you for your question. I advise my patients to avoid strenuous working out for 24 hours as well. Some may start to see the effects of Botox kicking in after a few days but just a reminder it can take 7-14 days for the full effect. 

Leonard Lu, MD

Botox & Yoga

Thank you for your inquiry. i advise all my patients to refrain for any physical activity for 4 hours after botox treatments. If you did yoga 24hrs later, there should be no problem. Results are normally visible after 2 - 3 days and on some patients a full 14 days, so wait 2 weeks and then reassess your results with your board certified plastic surgeon. Regards,

Omar Fouda Neel, MD, FRCSC, FACS
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Botox results and exercise

There should be no effect from the yoga on your Botox results. Typically, it takes a few days to start seeing you Botox results. The peak results can take up to 2 weeks to see. If you are not happy with your results at 14 days, then I would followup with your provider. Otherwise, nothing to worry about.

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician

Hot yoga after Botox

Thank you for your question. Heat and/or humidity, as experienced in hot yoga, does not have any affect on Botox. Botox also takes several days to achieve its full effect.  

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon