Hysterectomy right after a tummy tuck?

I'm 37 years old, I have 2 daughters & have my tubes tied. I had a tummy tuck with muscle repair on July 20, 2016. I have endometriosis with fibroids & cysts that are causing me a great deal of pain that can not be managed. My ob/gyn wants to do a hysterectomy since 2 previous laparoscopies didn't help & birth control isn't helping the pain either. I'm very worried about damaging my results from my tummy tuck. Opinions?

Hysterectomy after tummy tuck

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with ongoing pain and will require a hysterectomy. This is particularly troublesome following a tummy tuck. I will admit that a certain degree of stretching may occur with a laparoscopic hysterectomy resulting in an increase in abdominal wall laxity. However it is possible that the procedure may be performed with minimal changes to your result. If possible, a transvaginal hysterectomy would be advised which would avoid the possibility of changing your tummy tuck result. I recommend speaking with your OB/GYN to discuss your concerns and options regarding the surgical approach. Thanks for your question and I hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

I would recommend transvaginal hysterectomy if possible

When patients undergo laparoscopic surgery, the abdomen is pressure inflated to expand it to create working space for the surgery. I have had patients tell me anecdotally that they feel their stomachs never looked the same after laparoscopic surgery. I assume somehow it must "restretch" out the abdomen and recreate the laxity. This would be avoided with a transvaginal hysterectomy. 

However, there are times in life where two things are in conflict and we have to accept trade-offs. So if you are miserable in pain, then what must be done must be done. I would though talk about your concerns with your OB/Gyn and see what her opinion is (if it can be done transvaginally and if there are any downsides of this approach in your case) and then go from there...

Timing of hysterectomy

Thank you for your question. There are a number of approaches that can be taken to perform a hysterectomy. Laparoscopically or transvaginally. Consult with your gynecologist to see which is the best approach. The trans vaginal approach will not effect your recent tummy tuck.

Hysterectomy after tummy tuck

Thanks for your inquiry and sorry for your struggles.  Your hysterectomy might be able to be done laproscopically or vaginally to reduce the risk of undoing your tummy tuck result.  Ask your gynecologist, good luck.