What is the best way to get out of bed after an abdominoplasty?

What is the best way to get out of bed after an abdominoplasty? I was told not to roll onto my side at all but also not to use stomach muscles.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Best way is with help or with a power recliner

Please be sure and check with your doctor for clarification as to why you can't roll onto your side. It may be that they don't want you rolling on your side in your sleep and staying like that, but that being on your side momentarily when getting out of bed is ok.

The best way from a bed is with a helper. Typically, you would be in a semi-flexed position with the head and back elevated as well as the knees. If so, you can roll/pivot onto your side so the legs are over the edge of the bed and then your helper will help lift you up. 

The slickest thing I have seen is the power recliners. Patients with these can get in a reclined position and then with the push of a button it moves to a sitting position where it easy to get up.

Initially getting out of bed be easiest with help. Many patients decide to sleep in a recliner, so that they are in a flexed position. This takes tension off incision. If you have help, it's easiest to roll to your side and then have someone help you sit up and then lean forward to a standing position. After a tummy tuck surgery you will be most comfortable if you maintain the slightly flexed position while sleeping, sitting, and walking. Slowly with time you'll be able to be more upright.

You will definitely need some help with that the first few days. All patients with chronic back pain know this method - first roll to your side, let your lower legs over the edge of the bed and use one hand up by your shoulder to push against the mattress. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Many patients feel most comfortable sitting or sleeping on a recliner or bed after tummy tuck surgery. The use of pillows beneath the knees and back will be helpful. You want to stay flexed/bent  at the waist to take attention off the lower abdominal wall incision line.

In my opinion, the best way to get out of bed after tummy tuck surgery is to have a helper support your back and take some of the pressure off of the abdominal wall  muscles as you sit up and pivot.