Numbness and hardness 3 days after Juvederm filler in lips. (Photo)

I got 1ml of juvederm in my lips three days ago but I am experiencing a numb feeling on my top lip, it's tingly and numb and my top lip is quite hard. I have been massaging it but it doesn't seem to be getting any softer and there are lumps on the top lip which I am HOPING is the needle trauma and not the filler. I am worried about the numb feeling, is this normal. From the pics do they look abnormal to you or are they ok for considering how soon it is since having them done?

Numbness and Hardness 3 Days after Lip Augmentation

It is normal for lips to swell after filler injections. Swelling can take up to 2 weeks to subside. The numbness and hardness you are experiencing should subside in a few days. Be careful not to over massage the lips as this can lead to more swelling and bruising. If you are unhappy with your results after 2 weeks you can have your filler dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Numbness and hardness 3 days after JVD filler in lips

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry that this numbness and firmness has concerned you.  Due to the lips thin tissues they can swell after treatment, resulting in a temporary firmness and altered sensation.  Depending on how much filler was placed you can anticipate a resolution slowly over the next 2-4 weeks.  Hang in there as it looks like you will have a nice result. 

Normal numbing with lip augmentation and fillers

This appears to be normal. You can experience swelling, numbness and firmness 1-2 weeks after your injection. If you remain concerned, contact your injector. If you're unhappy with final results, you can have it reversed and try a different technique next time. Best, Dr. Emer

Numbness and hardness 3 Days after Lip Fillers

Dear jmon90;

It is not uncommon to have lip swelling, associated numbness and hardness after lip fillers.  My recommendations would be not to massage the area (leave this to your physician) and see your physician 2 weeks after lip fillers.  All the best.

Juvederm injections

Hi ~ The swelling and numbness you are experiencing appears normal. There is significant swelling after filler injections to the lips and this can be accompanied by numbness. We tell our patients to not massage the lips as this can cause increased swelling and alter your results. Discuss this with your injector and make sure to follow their post injection instructions.

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

Numbness in lips after filler

It is ok to have numbness in the lips after filler. I don't recommend my patients to massage their lips. It can displace the filler or it can lessen its duration. You should wait about 10 days for them to settle down before having concerns about them. But if you can't wait that long, discuss with your doctor sooner.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

3 days post-lip filler

What you are experiencing can be related to swelling around the filler.  Lips are notorious for swelling substantially in some patients.  The numbness and hardness should start to resolve.  Be careful to not over massage as this can lead to more swelling or bruising.  If the hardness and visible nodules continue for a few more days, it may be necessary to spot reduce with hyaluronidase.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip injections

It appears that you have normal swelling associated with lip injections.  The other symptoms you are experiencing are not uncommon due to the area injected.  It should resolve on its own over the next two weeks.  If it does not, contact your injector for an evaluation.

Camille Cash, MD