Leaking Juvederm out of lip?

So I got lip injections a couple months ago I got juvederm. I busted my lip open pretty bad today and I'm scared maybe some of the juvederm came out and I swallowed it? It's not that bad but just out of curiosity what would happen if someone digested or swallowed juvederm? Thanks ! :)

Doctor Answers 7

JUVÉDERM® is non-toxic and completely safe in the rare chance of ingestion.

I’m sorry to hear about your lip! I hope you’re receiving any necessary medical care you might need. As for the JUVÉDERM®, about 2 weeks after injection, JUVÉDERM® has attached itself to the surrounding tissues, so there’s little chance that any would have leaked from your lip. However, if you were to accidentally ingest JUVÉDERM®, there’d be nothing to worry about. JUVÉDERM® is made of hyaluronic acid, which is a naturally-occurring substance in the body. Therefore, JUVÉDERM® is completely safe.

New York General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 12 reviews


Thank you for your question. It is unlikely that you swallowed any of the Juvederm, since it becomes incorporated into the skin after it is injected. If for some reason you did swallow a small bit, Juvederm is a Hyaluronic acid filler which is non toxic and would not be harmful if swallowed. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist
4.3 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Juvederm for lips

Juvederm can incorporate into the skin so it is very unlikely that you ingested any of it.  It would not be harmful if you did.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Totally Safe--Wound care to avoid scarring

Juvederm is a  hyaluronic acid filler which is a natural substance and is non-toxic. If you did ingest some, it wouldn't harm you. Since you busted your lip, I recommend a consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist for proper wound care to avoid potential scarring. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Juvederm that was swallowed is fine

There is no harm in swallowing Juvederm. It is a non toxic and contains mostly naturally occurring substances.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Lip filler

juvederm fillers are hyaluronic acid fillers which is a natural substance found in the skin. The small amount possibly ingested would not have any bad effects on your health. 

Roni Munk, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Lip Juvederm

Sorry to hear about your accident.  Hope you're ok!  I would imagine that nothing bad would happen because Juvederm is made of a naturally-occurring substance (hyaluronic acid).  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.