Leaking Juvederm out of lip?

So I got lip injections a couple months ago I got juvederm. I busted my lip open pretty bad today and I'm scared maybe some of the juvederm came out and I swallowed it? It's not that bad but just out of curiosity what would happen if someone digested or swallowed juvederm? Thanks ! :)

Thank you for your question. It is unlikely that you swallowed any of the Juvederm, since it becomes incorporated into the skin after it is injected. If for some reason you did swallow a small bit, Juvederm is a Hyaluronic acid filler which is non toxic and would not be harmful if swallowed. 

Orange County Dermatologist

Juvederm for lips

Juvederm can incorporate into the skin so it is very unlikely that you ingested any of it.  It would not be harmful if you did.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Totally Safe--Wound care to avoid scarring

Juvederm is a  hyaluronic acid filler which is a natural substance and is non-toxic. If you did ingest some, it wouldn't harm you. Since you busted your lip, I recommend a consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist for proper wound care to avoid potential scarring. Best, Dr. Emer

Juvederm that was swallowed is fine

There is no harm in swallowing Juvederm. It is a non toxic and contains mostly naturally occurring substances.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip filler

juvederm fillers are hyaluronic acid fillers which is a natural substance found in the skin. The small amount possibly ingested would not have any bad effects on your health. 

Roni Munk, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Juvederm

Sorry to hear about your accident.  Hope you're ok!  I would imagine that nothing bad would happen because Juvederm is made of a naturally-occurring substance (hyaluronic acid).  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon