Three days ago, I had the Halo laser procedure. I am Asian and now have developed tons of MENDs. Will these disappear?

The MENDS of Halo

The 'mends' of Halo are expected and indicate you are getting a great response to the treatment.  Mends stands for 'microscopic epithelial necrotic debris' and are the result of the 1470 laser energy creating these columns of injury that are absorbed into the deeper tissue or come to the surface.  Your skin will look and feel like sandpaper for up to a week as these come up and flake off with the healing process.

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

MENDS post Halo

Based on your description, you are healing as you should, and MENDS is usually an excellent sign 3 days post Halo treatment. Consult with your treating physician as he or she knows the scope of the treatment and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

MENDS are Great

You want this!  Once they appear, your job is to be gentle to your skin, protect it, follow your provider's instructions and let the MENDs go away on their own schedule.  Go, MENDs!

Arlo J. Miller, MD, PhD
Issaquah Dermatologic Surgeon

Halo Healing

This is a normal and expected part of the healing process.  It sounds like you responded well to treatment.  Your skin will have a rough texture during this phase, but after 5-7 days the majority of the "MENDs" should shed.  Good luck and enjoy your results!!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

HALO and MENDs

Emma,

It is very common to develop darker colored small spots all over the face around 2-3 days after HALO laser treatment. These are the MENDs that you mention.  These will go away over time.  In my patients that MENDs have typically disappeared at 5-7 days depending on how aggressive the treatment was that they received.  Your skin will feel very dry and rough which is normal.  As you shed the MENDs this should reveal new healthy soft skin underneath.  Make sure to use sunscreen with an SPF30 or greater after your treatment.  In patients with darker skin, which may include yourself, this cannot be emphasized enough to prevent hyperpigmentation after laser treatments.  In some cases I recommend pre- and post-treatment regimens with hydroquinone to further decrease the risk of hyperpigmentation in people with darker skin.

Take care,

Cody Koch

Cody A. Koch, MD, PhD
Des Moines Facial Plastic Surgeon

MENDs after HALO

If you are talking about the small raised coffee brown spots all over your face then that is a normal process of healing after HALO. Within a week, the spots will fall off. Your face will feel like sand paper but you will start to peel and your face will feel smooth again. Make sure you use a good physical block that contains titanium and zinc.  However, if you are experiencing hyperpigmentation than you should visit your doctor.

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Halo laser and pigmentation issues for Asian patients

MENDs?   Microscopic Epidermal Necrotic Debris? 

I assume that you are asking about the texture change and temporary color change associated with the fractional aspect of Halo laser treatment. 

After Halo, our patients are generally on a very strict protocol of sun avoidance and an array of topical products used to facilitate the healing process and to prevent hyperpigmentation. 

Would suggest calling your physician. 

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Halo Laser and Pigmentation In Asian Patient

I suggest speaking to your physician.  There are many settings to this laser and the treatments are individualized.  You should be on proper skin care to prevent hyperpigmentation at this time.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Halo

Rest assure this is the normal process of healing post Halo.  The skin shows dark coffee-ground-like pigmentation.  It will slough off about day 5-7.  Please be cautious with sun exposure and take extra precautions by using skin brightening products.  Your doctors office can recommend a post skincare regimen.  

Dr. Grant Stevens       Marina Plastic Surgery Associates        Marina del Rey, CA       The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD