Will Dry Sockets Form if I Start Smoking Again 48 Hours After Wisdom Teeth Extraction?

I am a 19 year old male, 6 foot tall 160 lbs and before my tooth extraction I would smoke 10-15 a day so I can say I've really been trying not to for the last 48 hours. I haven't because I don't want the dry sockets. Have the chances of forming a dry socket decreased significantly enough to smoke after 48 hours of wisdom teeth extraction is my main question.

Dry Sockets could form after extraction if you Smoke!

Hi DRS1994...there is a good chance a dry socket will occur if you smoke within 48 hours after the extraction. Smoking will interfere with the healing process and, if no healing occurs, you could experience extreme throbbing and non stop pain in that area!  Also refrain from hot liquids for at least 48 hours!  Please heed this advice...no one wants this kind of pain after an extraction!

Van Nuys Dentist

Dry socket considerations

The time after a tooth is extracted is a delicate time. A blood clot has formed, fibroblasts are migrating into the site, and the body is starting to begin the process of bone formation. Smoking damages the small blood vessels that feed the healing area and if the clot becomes dislodged or comes out you are left with a "naked" bony hole that has no band aid on it (the blood clot) you then get a very intense pain that is constant, throbs, and no meds can really relieve unless the dds places a medicated gel or gauze into the site. this process is most noticed 2-3 days after the surgery and can last 10 days sometimes. So the answer is you should not smoke for about  14 days after for best results. Doing so earlier increases the risk of pain and agony!

Dry Sockets and Smoking

Hello and thanks so much for your question. Do your best not to smoke. It doesn't sound like you have a packet a day habit, and hopefully keeping off the smokes for 48 hours, which should actually be about two weeks, could make you want to kick the habit for good. Smoking cigarettes, pipes, cigars or from a Hookah pipe will make you more susceptible to dry socket, which is a painful complication from tooth extractions. The healing process is delicate enough, but add smoking to the mix and you could be in for some serious pain just because you had one cigarette or one puff on the Hookah pipe. Smoking will damage the small blood vessels that help with healing. I recommend that you avoid hot liquids and smoking at least 48 hours after the extraction procedure. If you have smoked or indulged in your morning cup of coffee you may notice signs of dry socket as early as 24 hours to 48 hours after the extraction, but symptoms could begin as early as a few hours after the procedure if you decide to light up. Dry socket can sometimes last up to 10 days or more. I also recommend that you refrain from smoking for about two weeks after your extraction. Remember, having a tooth pulled could be the perfect excuse to give up smoking for good.

Michael Fulbright, DDS
Redondo Beach Dentist

Dry socket?

smoking is the leading cause of dry sockets I suggest no smoking for at least 72 hours good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD      CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Dentist