How soon can you start to massage after neck Liposuction? (photo)

I had neck and chin liposuction 12 days ago. I am now noticing "bands" from under my chin running down my neck, from what I have read this is normal and can be helped with massage. I have read to massage as hard as you can stand to gently rubbing. Being not quite two weeks out I am not sure when I can start to massage and how hard. I am still quite tender. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer :-)

How soon can you start to massage after neck Liposuction

I recommend lymphatic massage within the first week after surgery if there is minimal pain.  The "bands" you are seeing are muscle bands which can become visible after liposuction. Massage will not help eliminate those bands.  Discuss ypur concerns with ypur surgeon

Bands After Neck Liposuction

The platysma muscle was most likely obscured pre operatively by fat. Now that the fat is removed the muscles are more obvious.These bands are most likely the edge of your platysma muscle. To correct this issue may require plication of the muscle. Massage can not hurt but I don't think that is the answer. Botox may help.

Consult your surgeon and trust his advice. Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

How soon can you start to massage after neck Liposuction?

You really need to see your surgeon to discuss post operative care which includes massages.. Always best to follow the operative surgeon's plans not an over the internet doc.//

Massage Post-Op Lipo

My suggestion would be to start massaging the area 3 to 4 days after submental Smartlipo; it will take a few weeks to heal properly. Continue to wear your compression garment and go to your regularly scheduled follow up appointments.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Chin liposuction and bands

The bands you see may be swelling and may be the underlying muscle. Best to be seen in person. You should follow up with your doctor.

Neck massage after chin liposuction

it is very important that she follow the directions that sure surgeon gives you.  Usually these are tailored to the technique that the surgeon uses.

In your case these bands may simply be edges of muscle that were not present when there was more fat tissue there.  That is speculative and I don't know that for sure.  Most likely he simply have a normal amount of scar tissue developing and this will fade with time.  If you or one of my patients I would probably have the weight 2 weeks before any neck massage.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon