Drip pad removal or replace?

I had open rhinoplastry on Tuesday 09th June. It's now 12th June, 4 days in and i still have my drip pad on, have been changing it fairly regular as and when i feel it needs it. Is it a good idea to take it off and keep it off now, let my nose get an airing? Or perhaps, have drip pad off for an hour or so and replace and continue to do that for splint removal on the 17th, 5 days from now? Many thanks for your time,

Nasal Drip Pad after rhinoplasty is for your convenience

Thanks for the question. 
  • Your surgeon is the best resource for these questions, as they may have a preference.
  • In general the drip pad is just so you can go "handsfree"
  • and not have to dab your nostril so often if it is draining. 
  • If it is fairly dry, you can continue with your surgeons wound care recommendation and leave it off. 
Best Wishes 

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for the question. 
Best Wishes 

Drip pad removal or replace?

Dear mynoseplastry

The purpose of the Drip pad is to prevent dripping from your nose. Once you have stopped dripping, you can stop wearing the pad. In most cases, this is after the first 24 to 48 hours.
You should ask your surgeon for instructions. If you are still dripping heavily at this point, you should contact your surgeon.

Drip pad removal or replace?

Dear mynoseplastry

Drip pad after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  Ask your surgeon of course, but I generally tell my patients that they can take it off whenever they think that the nuissance of having to dab with a tissue is less than the nussance of having the gauze sit continually under their nose.  This intersection happens as the rate of ooze slows down and is a decision I let me patients decide.  All the best!

Drip pad after rhinoplasty

Ok to remove drip pad

It really depends on how you're healing.  Most patients have significantly reduced oozing and drainage by about 3-4 days.  If the patient is not oozing blood, I usually recommend patients just leave the drip pad off.  Sometimes, having the drip pad continuously on can be a nuisance.  Don't forget to continue nasal saline irrigations--these are important for a good recovery and healing.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ok to remove drip pad

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon