Is one vial of Kybella enough?

I just did my first Kybella injection. The doctor told me that I only need one vial, but everything I read online says 2++. I trust my doctors opinion, but I am wondering if I will get the results I want? It would help me if people showed me what one vial looked like. She said if she thought I would have needed it we would have done it at the same time.

Amount of Kybella Needed

The amount of Kybella needed is going to depend on the patient and how much fat there is to be dissolved. Since your doctor has examined you in person, I would trust his or her opinion. 

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

One vial of Kybella

This is at the complete discretion of the physician that is injecting you. I can tell you that on average, I use two vials in most patients. That being said, there is the select patient with only a very small isolated fat pad that needs only one vial. This is rare, but possible. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is one vial of Kybella enough?

Thank you for your excellent question.  The amount of Kybella dosed depends on the extent of the area and amount of adipose tissue present in a patient's submental (below the chin) region and as a result is individualized.  Though most patients benefit from 1-2 vials at their initial session it often takes multiple treatments to reach a desired effect.  Voice your concerns to your surgeon or post photographs for additional advice.  Best wishes.

Amount of Kybella per vial

To answer your question about how much Kybella is in each vial, the standard is 2mL vials and 0.2mL given at each injection site about 1cm apart. Depending on how much submental fat is present, the company recommends (based on their FDA approval) anywhere from one to a maximum of five vials to be used on a single treatment day. For many people, two vials per treatment is a good place to start but you can always start with less and see how it goes!

Lindsey Webb, MD
Atlanta Physician

How much Kybella to use

The amount of Kybella needed varies greatly from person to person and based upon the amount of fat present.  Lower amounts of Kybella are also sometimes used to lessen swelling.    Give the treatment 6-8 weeks for full effect before deciding if more is necessary.  Usually, several treatments are needed for best results.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Most patients need more than one vial for their submental fullness. However, it will all depend on the amount of fat (fullness) under your chin. There is no harm in being conservative and adding one or two vials at a time. Good luck.

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dosing of Kybella

Thanks for your question!  I've had great results with injecting only one vial for some of my patients.  You can always discuss your concerns with your injector at your second treatment.  If necessary, you can add on additional vials at that time.  Best of luck to you!

Kybella injections and amount

Typically for Kybella injections, the amount and the number of treatments depends on how much pre-platysmal/submental fat (underchin fullness) you have. While 1 vial may seem to be on the low end, for some, it may be sufficient. Each person requires a variable amount of injection. Generally, 2-4 treatments are needed even for those who do not have much fullness in that area. Treatments should be separated by 6-8 weeks. 
If you have any further questions, please consult a board-certified surgeon and I hope you will achieve your desired results!
Best of Luck!Dr. Peng

Grace Lee Peng, MD

​ Kybella sessions and results

Thank you for your question. You did not submit a photo of how your chin looked before treatment. Typically the doctor administering the injection will review your treatment area and decide how much of the injection is needed. It is possible that you may need another session of Kybella as most patients require between 2-4 sessions for optimal results. Just give it some time so that you can see your results and follow-up with your doctor. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD

How many vials of Kybella do you need?

Thank you for your question yellow mellow. Kybella is the first FDA approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. In the pivotal trials, patients received at least two vials at each treatment and that is what is on label. However many doctors tailor treatments for each patient. Sometimes doctors use one vial or three vials. What we have noticed in our office (we use two vials per treatment) is that at least two treatments should be done. Most people require anywhere from two to four treatments, and some people require up to six treatments. Treatments are done every six to eight weeks. The more vials used per treatment, the more swelling can be expected. Please consult with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician