Kybella price of $300 - Could the price of Kybella really be this cheap?

I recently found a respectable doctor who is selling kybella for $300 per syringe.What could be the reasons that they are able to sell it for this cheap? Is the price point decided on by doctors themselves? An honest answer to this would be appreciated.

Kybella Cost and Pricing

Hello NaturalGirl1000,

Kybella comes in 2cc vials and the average per patient is 2-3 vials per treatment. Kybella's average price is $600 per vial, so it sounds to me that they are selling 1/2 vials (1cc). I would clarify with the provider exactly how many cc's in each syringe so you know exactly what you are paying for.

Hope this helps!
Dr Faraz

Cost of Kybella depends on how much solution is used.

Kybella comes in 2cc vials and is drawn up into 2, 1cc syringes.  Patients may require between one and 4 vials (2 to 8 syringes) for a treatment.  Often more than one treatment is desired for best results.  To determine your actual cost you would want to know how many syringes are to be used. 

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella price

Kybella is sold by the vials which hold just over 2cc. Most clinicians use a 1cc syringe, so beware that if they are selling "per syringe" that the price is actually x 2, which is more in line w/ what everyone else is selling right now.
Yes, prices are set by med spa and clinic themselves. Just like any other business, the drug is purchased from the wholesaler - in this case Allergan, and then the med spa and clinic will mark it up however they feel appropriate. This particular Doctor may be selling it as a lost leader to get more business as $300/ vial is just a little bit over the regular wholesale price. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Kybella cost

Thanks for your question. Kybella comes in a vial and each vial is 2ml. A typical adequate Kybella treatment is 2 to 3 vials per session. So what is meant by a ' syringe' of Kybella is unclear. If they are saying $300 for one vial that is extremely low pricing as the product is very expensive. $300 wouldn't even cover the cost of the single vial. Ask more questions.
Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

Pricing & Kybella

Thanks for your question. It’s best to consult with a board certified dermatologist when seeking treatment to avoid potential problems. If it sounds to good to be true, then it may be. Better to reference certifications before price. Hope this helps. Best, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella cost

Hello, and thanks for your question. If this is the price per 2cc vial, then the doctor would be losing money by doing the procedure, as that barely covers the cost of the product, let alone staff salaries and everything else that goes into overhead. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Cost of Kybella

I can't speak for what others are charging in their practice. However, I can tell you the average cost of injection per Kybella treatment(this includes two vials) is between $1,000-$1400 in the region of Washington, DC. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella price

One vial of Kybella is typically $600 and is used to fill two syringes.  So $300 per syringe is the same as $600 per vial.  Most patients are going to need 2 vials for a treatment with some benefiting from 3.  And most patients are going to benefit from 2-4 treatments.  Kybella is purchased directly from Allergan and the provider sets the final price, just like with Botox and other injectibles.  The price charged reflects overhead/staff salaries/insurance costs/etc.  Most reputable providers have similar costs.  So I would be cautious about a price that seems significantly lower than the surrounding area.

Jonathan Hall, MD

Perhaps when they say it is $300 per syringe they mean that each 1cc syringe is $300.  The typical dose used per treatment is 4cc.  Call you doctor to double check what they mean by "one syringe"

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Hello NaturalGirl1000,
Kybella comes in a 2 cc vial and most people sell it by the vial because it is not a multidose vial.  So, yes, 1 cc will be drawn up for 300 and the second for another 300 which brings your price per vial to 600 which is in line with the 600-650 that Kybella usually retails for.  This is my two cents but since that price as a little misleading to the consumer, I would be very wary about going to that injector.  I'd recommend you consult with a core aesthetic injector such as a facial plastic surgeon to go over whether you are a candidate, the expected number of vials, and expected number of treatments to determine your costs.
I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon