Is it possible for Juvederm to hypopigment the skin?

It has been over 2 weeks since having juvederm injected? I see a white patch by where the filler was placed. Is it even possible for the product to cause hypopigmentation? I am just scared it will always be there. My dr's office says it's my normal white skin and the surrounding area is still healing. Thoughts?

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to give you answer without any photos. However, I have not ever seen Juvederm cause hypopigmentation of the skin. I recommend having the evaluated by your treating physician.  Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Last contacted 3 days ago

Understanding The Filler Juvederm

Without seeing your before and afters it is very difficult to provide you a precise answer. I can say that I have worked with Juvederm for over 10 years and I have never seen hypopigmentation from the product. Sometimes the filler can be injected too superficially and you may in fact just be seeing some filler reflecting light. However, it would appear more blue in appearance and this is referred to as the Tyndall effect. Most importantly, I highly recommend following up with your doctor about your concerns. The nice thing about Juvederm, it can be reversed with hyaluronidase. My best, Dr. Rajani

Anil Rajani, MD
Portland Physician

Last contacted 1 day ago

Thank you for sharing your question.  By itself Juvederm does not cause hypo pigmentation of the skin but if placed superficially it can have a blue tinge (Tyndal effect) or can cause the overlying skin to blanch and appear white.  Without photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice but see your injector for an in-person evaluation and discussion.

Last contacted 1 hour ago

Juvederm and hypopigmentation?

It is unlikely that juvederm caused hypopigmentation. It can cause a bluish hue if placed too superficially. It can cause a whitish look if the tissues are occluded causing an ischemic event.

Last contacted 20 hours ago

Knowing What's Normal with Juvederm

This is tough to answer without pictures. It is unlikely that Juvederm caused hypopigmentation. It may be that it was placed superficially and you are seeing some filler. I recommend following up with your Dr about your concerns. If you're unhappy with your final results, it can be reversed with hyaluronidase and a different technique can be used next time. Best, Dr. Emer

Last contacted 1 hour ago

Hypopigmentation after fillers

It is best to look at before and after pictures. It is unlikely that Juvederm caused this. The only way it is possible is if it is close to the surface. If this were the cause, it would appear more blue in appearance, and it is called the Tyndall effect. If there is any concern, remove the Juvederm with hyaluronidase.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Last contacted 4 hours ago

Discoloration after juvederm

It is hard to determine what is happening after your injections without photos, I would recommend you returning to your physician to determine if per chance, the filler was injected to close to the surface of the skin causing a whitish hue. There are several things that could be causing this so please do see your physican so that you can achieve the best possible outcome! I hope this helps.

Lesley Rabach, MD

Last contacted 16 days ago

Juvederm and hipopigmentation

Hello , I have not seen in my practice so far for Juvederm to cause hypopigmentation . I would verify with your injecter and follow his recommendations . Good luck. 

Joseph Doumit, MD
Montreal Dermatologist

Last contacted 10 days ago

Ive seen this once

I had a client a year or two ago that had some hypopigmentation after injection that was not related to vascular compromise (i.e. necrosis or skin dying). Her problem resolved over the course of 3 months and was mild in appearance. Her injection was in the lips. I hope this helps as it is VERY rare, I spoke to 4 other doctors that had not seen this complication. In time it will heal. 

Alexander Blinski, MD
Manhattan Physician

Hello, and thanks for your question. I have not seen Juvederm injection cause hypo pigmentation of the skin. It's hard to say what might be going on without having before and after photos to review. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Last contacted 7 days ago