I am 8 months pregnant and my husband just started taking accutane! Is it OK for use to have sex or not?

Accutane, sex, partner, pregnant

Accutane and pregnancy

Dear lnfowler,

As you clearly understand, Accutane and pregnancy are a scary combination. Even topical medications like Retin-A should not be used. However, this is so long as you, the pregnant one, are the one taking it. You should be safe if it your boyfriend on the medication, not you.

I hope this helps and congratulations!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 3 days ago

Accutane and the male

Yes, it is perfectly safe for you to have sex with your husband even though you are pregnant and he is on accutane, in the sense that accutane (isotretinoin) is not transferred through the male's sperm or seminal fluids.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Last contacted 1 day ago