Why do HA fillers last less time in areas with more muscular movement?

I have HA lip fillers and was told they tend to last less on areas with a lot of muscular movement. However I've been wondering for a while if the muscular contraction actually makes your body metabolise it faster and breaks it down or only displaces the filler? Because I can't really imagine how talking, eating, etc would dissolve the HA as it feels pretty hard. Just asking this bcause it kind of makes me concious about doing a lot of gesticulation with my lips for fear it will go away faster

Why Do HA Fillers Last less Time In Areas With More Muscular Movement?

Thank you for your excellent question.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about the duration of your results.  Hyaluronic acid based dermal fillers such as Juvederm last 6-8 months when used for lip augmentation due to the continuous movements in that area, as you described.  Juvederm can last for up to 1 year when used to treat other areas.  More frequent injections may be a good option to maintain your desired look.  Please be sure to discuss your concerns with your injector in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Cohasset Physician

The longevity of HA fillers

Yes, this is what happens. The body looks to break down anything foreign in the body and the muscular contractions move it away. However, with regular use, you may find that the filler tends to last longer. Best, Dr. Emer

Muscle movement breaks down fillers faster

This is the case. Areas of movement tend to hold filler less. I wouldn't alter your lifestyle because of this. Just get the lips filled again. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  When hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are placed into the tissues of the face they become absorbed and integrated into the spaces between your natural skin cells.  By absorbing surrounding water they slowly soften leaving patients a more natural feeling and appearance.  Because the body slowly metabolizes the material over time when it is placed into areas that are more physically active (ie. the lips versus the smile lines versus the cheeks versus the temples) the body will clear the material faster.  Though I understand your sentiment, I would not worry about limiting your activity as you should get several months of results from your treatment. Hope this helps.