Should Bone Graft be re-stitched? Can it continue to heal if the incision is slightly open? Antibiotics are finished (photo)

6 days ago I had my back molar extracted and a bone graft in preparation for a future dental implant. The sutures are dissolving and it appears the area is opening slightly - a shadowy crease. Over the last few days I have found two small bone pieces (I'm assuming from the graft) in my mouth. I still have a dull ache, but nothing Motrin cannot handle. Should the area be re-stitched? I don't go back for my post-op visit for 5 more days and my antibiotic runs out tomorrow.

Graft issues

hi,
without knowing the details of your procedure, the answer is no. just keep your mouth clean with salty water rinses or alcohol-free savacol (or whatever is the equivalent in southlake that has chlorhexidine in it) and see your surgeon for a review this week. resuturing never works. the graft can still take even if partially exposed. best of luck.
julian

Brisbane Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Healing after extraction and bone graft

The site will continue to heal as long as no infection. 

Your swelling and pain should be minimal at this time. 

If you still have pain that is almost the same degree of severity as 1-2 days after surgery , if bad taste , bad smell , chills, swollen lymph nodes , ear ache then you should see your surgeon as soon as possible. Dont wait until you are scheduled for post op appointment 

the site should not be re sutured. But simply starting a different type of antibiotics could resolve the infection if it is caught early.

make an appointment with your surgeon  if you have any concerns,

meanwhile,

use an anti bacterial mout rinse, do not brush the site and avoid chewing in that site. 

Good luck. 

Elly Tehrani, DMD, MSD
Toronto Periodontist