Placing my contact lens on right after an internal ptosis surgery to prevent scratching of cornea from stitches. Is this normal?

I'm scheduled to have an internal ptosis surgery done next week. I asked my doctor how long after that I can wear my soft contact lens. He said he will actually place the contact lens on me right after surgery to prevent stitch from scratching my cornea. I read many reviews and none have mentioned about that. Please advise. Thank you

Protective Contact Lens Following Ptosis Repair

For patients who are already accustomed to contact lens use, it's not a bad idea to place the contact on for 1 week following ptosis repair. Sleeping in contacts increases the risk of corneal ulcers (infection of the cornea); therefore, antibiotic drops will help prevent surgical wound and corneal infections. For those patients who don't want a contact lens placed, Bacitracin or Erythromycin ophthalmic ointment may be applied 4 times daily for the week.

All the best.

Contact lens after internal ptosis repair

Some surgeons will place a contact lens in the eye after internal ptosis repair to function as a bandage.  The incision can be irritating to the cornea every time you blink.  Some people are not bothered by this, and it usually only lasts a couple of days.  Putting a bandage lens or your own contact will help prevent any irritation.    

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bandage contact lens after internal eyelid ptosis surgery

The choice depends on the surgeon. I routinely place bandage contact lens to protect the eyeball/cornea from the internal eyelid stitches (for internal ptosis surgery).  It remains in place for one week, at which time the sutures and contact lens are removed.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

In most ptosis correction techniques there are no internal incisions or sutures. When the internal incision is used it is supposed to be placed high enough in the lid not to touch the cornea. You may wan to ask your doctor about the level of the incision. The internal eyelid incisions heal extremely fast (usually in a few days to a week).

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Contact Lens Use After Internal Ptosis Repair.

I do not routinely place a contact lens after internal ptosis repairs, but have on occasion in the past done so.  The internal incision and sutures can rub some patients eyes and be quite uncomfortable.  In my experience most of the time just the use of lubricating eye drops or ointment is all that is needed.  Perhaps you had a large resection and your surgeon was trying to help avoid any potential discomfort.  Best wishes.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon