Do I have to wear internal corneal shield when I get co2 fractional treatment?

do i have to wear internal corneal shield when i get co2 fractional treatment on my under eyelids just below the under eyelashes?

Eye shields for co2 eyelid resurfacing

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Yes, If you want to address the whole surface of your eyelid skin, you definitively need to protect the eyes.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Corneal Shields

We use metal internal corneal shields on every peri-ocular laser patient in order to protect the eye from any unwanted effects. This is non-negotiable in our office.

David S. Felder, MD
Fort Lauderdale Oculoplastic Surgeon

Thanks for your query. It is generally not required and is not available at most of the places. If you have that facility you can use it, as it will give you extra protection and there will be no harm on the eyes. Hope it helps. 

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Eye shields

For safety sake you should wear the internal eye shields when lasering in this area. The external shields can slip or move and a stray shot from the laser could create a burn on your cornea. The eye shields are very well tolerated as typically numbing drops are used before they are placed. If you were lasering the cheeks or forehead, the internal shields could be avoided but for your area in particular I would use them.

Aric K. Park, MD

Corneal sheilds with CO2 laser - is it a must?

This question speaks to the comfort-vs-safety issue. Internal shields certainly provide the maximum protection - especially if the treatment is going to be used right up to the rim of the eyelid. Other metallic occlusive measures, however, may be adequate for laser application not right up to the rim.  Your treating physician can best advise you with the level of precaution required for your treatment. I love fractional CO2 laser for improving fine lines around the eyes and mouth - it is effective and reliable. Downtime, however, may be an issue as the redness, swelling and tiny scabbing may persist for a week or more.  Hope this helps!