To Smooth out Nasal Labial Lines is It Better to Get Filler in my Check Bones or the Actually Folds?

I am a 35 year old female with nasal labia folds. They are not too deep however I think they age my face quite a bit. I have heard that you can smooth out the lines by getting filler in your cheek bones. Is this a better option to filling the lines themselves? I have been to two clinics and one said filling the lines is a better option and the other said filling my cheekbones. I'm a little confused now...

To Smooth out Nasolabial Folds is It Better to Get Filler in my Check Bones or the Actually Folds?

This is a very well informed question. Beginning injectors learn to plump up folds with filler. This works in some cases. As injectors become more advanced they learn to treat the root cause of the problem. Patients with cheek descent or cheek atrophy develop deeper nasolabial folds due to "falling" cheek bones. In people with this problem, augmentation of the cheek treats the cause of the problem (descent of the cheek) rather than just filling the resulting fold. In most cases, I will place a variable amount of filler in the cheek as well as the nasolabial fold to fully correct both cheek descent and a deep nasolabial fold. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Filling lines and folds as opposed to filling cheek bones

The answer depends on the depth of your folds as well as your budget. In some cases, if the folds are mild, then filling the folds or lines is often sufficient. If one is older and the folds deeper, then filling the folds ALONG WITH filling the upper cheeks is a useful way to treat the root cause and the end result for a better more natural look. There isn't a perfect right answer, but the most important decision is to go to a highly trained and experienced physician who will tell you the truth for your situation. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

To Smooth out Nasal Labial Lines is It Better to Get Filler in my Check Bones or the Actual Folds?

At your age you may have some midfacial descent that can be amenable to cheek injections.  The more common scenario at your age is to have subtle nasolabial folds that can be injected directly.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Augmenting Nasolabial Grooves vs Cheeks

You said you're now confused and without pictures so am I. Both procedures are appropriate but I need to see which is better for you.

The best ways to treat the nasolabial folds

Age-related changes throughout the face result from the combination of multiple causes: skin laxity due to the loss of collagen and elastic tissue fibers, loss of subcutaneous fat, gravity-induced sagging in the skin and underlying tissues, and changes in the underlying bony structures. Deeper fillers such as Radiesse and Sculptra are often not injected directly into these wrinkle lines and folds, but rather into multiple areas of the face to treat the volume loss that leads to their appearance. This leads to the subtle and natural-looking results that are so often desired. Patients don’t want to look “done” but also don’t want to look “tired”. Seemingly small changes in shape, proportions, balance, and symmetry can have a surprisingly large effect on our perception of the face.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvaderm and Nasolabial Folds

In most cases of early NL fold formation, injection directly into the fold works well.Filling out the volume loss in the surrounding cheeks may be needed for more advanced cases but more filler will be needed as well.

Joseph Fata, MD

Filler for nasolabial folds or cheeks

It is really patient dependent, sometimes especially in a young person a little filler directly into the nasolabial folds is enough, in other patients they may need the cheek area augmented as well.  You need to find a doctor you are happy with and work with them.  There is more than one way to address an issue. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologic Surgeon

If I want my NLF lines filled, should I get filler there, or in the cheeks?

Good question. If you had a photo we could better answer this. In general, if your NLF lines aren't overly deep, and you have good facial volume, then it's fine to fill in that area with filler. If your facial structure is thinner or more gaunt, sometimes it is better to create more of a cheek and volumize there. There's not going to be a correct answer to give on this one because it really depends on your facial structure and current volumization.

Juvederm works well for cheeks or nasolabial folds.

Juvederm can work well both as a cheek filler and for nasolabial folds.  Younger people tend to initially develop increasing nasolibial folds before volume loss in the cheek area.  At 35, I would suspect (without a picture) that filling the nasolabial folds would be the procedure of choice.  If there is volume loss in the cheek then filling this area would help.  The bottom line is that you should treat what bothers you the most and go to someone with experience in injecting.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Is it better to lift the cheeks or fill in nasal labial folds ?

It would be helpful if you posted a photo but typically if the nasal labial folds are not too deep and you have nice cheeks I would just fill the nasal labial folds.  If you have lost volume in the mid face evidenced by hollowing under the eyes or flattened cheeks, filling the cheeks will give a nice lift to the face and lift the nasal labial folds making them look less deep.  In some cases I do both areas.  Again, it depends on what each person needs.   

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS