I Have a Small Round Keliod Scar on my Upper Back, Can I Freeze It?

Hello, I have a small keliod scar on my upper back/shoulder which is raised and red after having a small mole removed. I have read that using Liquid nitrogen can work by freezing it so that it will fall off by itself over time? Can you please help to tell me, if I can use a 'home liquid nitrogen kit?' I have one that was for warts, I was wondering if I can use this on my keloid? and how often shall I use the Liquid nitrogen? Thank you.

Doctor Answers 6

Liquid nitrogen is not a prudent option for treating a back scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your photo, it is difficult to discern whether the scar you have on your back is truly a keloid or just a hypertrophic scar. That would be an important distinction particularly with regard to prognosis.

Treatments can include re-excision and proper closure, steroid injections, topical scar treating agents and silicone gel sheeting. Liquid nitrogen is not a treatment and can, in fact, potentially make the scar worse. Self treatment is definitely not a prudent option.

My recommendation would be to see a board certified plastic surgeon for further evaluation and recommendations.

Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

The best treatment for keloid scarring is steroid injections, lasers, and neuromodulators

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best way to treat that keloid is steroid injections, possibly laser therapy, and even neuromodulators.  The liquid nitrogen shouldn't be that effective.

Ramtin Kassir, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 177 reviews

The best treatment for keloid scarring...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The first thing to understand about keloids is they are very difficult to treat.  The best treatment for Keloid scarring depends on the location of the keloid.  Usually the most effective method of treatment of keloids on the body is steroid injections.  The injections are given approximately every six to eight weeks.  Sometimes the V-beam laser can improve the scar some as well.  When the keloid is on the ear, then surgery is the best option.  Surgery for a body keloid will usually result in a bigger keloid.  I recommend seeing a plastic surgeon to evaluate you and determine your best course of action. 

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 222 reviews

You might also like...

Keloid Treatment of the Back

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Keloids can be effectively treated with steroid injections, silicone tape or laser treatment.  Cryotherapy or freezing of keloids is not likely to work and could make the keloid appear more red initially, and then darker later. I would advise consulting with a dermatologist for the best treatment available.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloid scar back

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This scar looks very recent and new.  It is red and raised.  What is usually recommended is treating your scar with silicone tape or silicone ointment.  It may take several months for it to "settle" down.  Other options include steroid injections, laser treatment and time.  Liquid nitrogen may help but beware---it may darken the area leaving a permanent dark spot. My advise is not to self treat.  Please see a dermatologist or your doctor who removed the mole for advise.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Scar Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you freeze it, you can count on the scar getting larger the next time. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.