Will a Slight Nose Fracture Heal and Straighten out over Time?

So almost a week ago, I hit my nose fairly hard when I went tubing at a friend's lake house. Prior to the trauma, I was getting random nose bleeds in my left nostril and after the injury, my nose bled, but only my left nostril. The bleeding stopped within 5-10 minutes and everything seemed fine, but then I recently noticed that the tip of my nose is very slightly slanted. Will my nose straighten out over time? How long should I wait? Or should I see a doctor soon? Is waiting 2 weeks okay?

Will a slight nose fracture heal and straighten out over time?

I would recommend having your nose examined by a board certified rhinoplasty specialist or ENT, as it is difficult to provide you with advice without seeing you in person. A closed nasal reduction can be performed if you are within a week of the trauma. It would be best to have your nose evaluated as soon as you can. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Rhinoplasty for broken nose

There are two types of nasal fractures. The first  kind is called non-displaced . These heal quite well and are not crooked. No surgery is required. A displaced nasal fracture can involve the nasal bones the upper lateral cartilages and  create a visible twist to the nose. Displaced nasal fractures are usually repaired with osteotomies and a spreader graft placed on the concave side. It is important to make sure there is not a septal hematoma present on the internal portion of the nose. Please see the link below for examples of twisted  noses we have repaired in our rhinoplasty practice

Your nose probably won't straighten without some type of intervention. During the first two weeks your nose can be straightened by a plastic surgeon or ENT without an invasive procedure. If you're concerned, I recommend seeking a consultation now rather than waiting as you might be able to avoid a surgical procedure. I hope this information is helpful. 

Do Nasal Fractures Spontaneously Straighten?

Nasal fractures are quite common.  Many fractures go undiagnosed.  A true nasal fracture can be either displaced or nondisplaced.  Generally speaking, an unaligned nasal fracture (or any unaligned bony fracture) will not heal in proper position without repositioning of the nasal bone.A displaced fracture means that the fracture is not in its normal alignment.  A displaced fracture will generally cause a nose to look different than prior to the trauma, depending on the degree of displacement.  A nondisplaced fracture means that their is a fracture or crack in the nasal bone however the bones have remained in line with each other.  Displaced fractures can be repositioned (typically within 2 weeks from the traumatic incident) if the degree of displacement is severe enough to change the appearance of the nose.  Nondisplaced fractures can be observed and generally heal well on their own, providing no further traumas move the nasal bones from alignment.  It is sometimes difficult to tell if a fracture is present or displaced based on appearance alone.  This is why physical examination and/or a CT scan be helpful in the decision making process.  When swelling resolves sometimes a fracture which was slightly depressed can look more apparent.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recent trauma - Act fast !

If you sustained a nasal fracture, a rhinoplasty specialist can usually "straighten" the nose with a minor procedure called a closed reduction. This however, must be done within 10 days or so of the accident, if more time elapses, the bones will heal and you will need a formal rhinoplasty. If more than 10 days have passed, I would let the swelling come down 3 months or so and then go see a doctor.

Marcelo Ghersi, MD

See a nose specialist if you are concerned about a fracture

If you are concerned about a fracture, you should see a Facial Plastic Surgeon / ENT specialist within the week of trauma so that if there is a need to move bones, he or she can do it easier than after the bone has fused in the new position. 

Dr. Zoumalan

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Nasal Fracture Healing - Depends on Extent of injury

Nasal trauma that deforms the nowe should be examined by a Plastic Surgeon or  ENT/ facial plastic surgeon to see what has been injured, that there is no septal hematoma that may have to be evacuated,  and to evaluate if  there is a nasal or septal fracture. It is far easier to repair any injured cartilage or bone displacement in the first few weeks following an injury.