Can I Sleep on my Side After a Tummy Tuck?

I had a full tummy tuck and breast augmentation with a breast lift ten days ago and my drains have been removed. However, it is very uncomfortable to sleep on my back every night and would like to know if I can sleep on my side. Thank you.

Sleeping on side after Tummy Tuck

I would consult with your primary surgeon first.    I would encourage you to sleep with a your binder on snug and knees bent.   I think sleeping on your side is fine as long as you cushion your torso well with pillows.

I hope this helps!!

Dr. Gill

How Soon After A Mommy Makeover Can I Sleep On My Side?

Each plastic surgeon has his or her own rules for when Mommy Makeover patients can sleep on their sides.  The obvious answer to your question is to check with your plastic surgeon and follow his or her instructions to the "T".  The warm weather in Honolulu must make it easy for patients to sleep on their sides easier than in colder climates.  My tummy tuck patients wear a girdle with Reston foam inside on their abdomen for 2 weeks.  My breast lift patients wear a vest with ABDs (ABD stands for Army Battle Dressing) over each breast for 2 weeks and lay on their backs for 7 days.  The Mommy Makeover patient stays in a lawn chair position with pillows behind their backs and pillows under their knees for 72 hours, then they are allowed to lay flat.  With tummy tuck and breast lift both, patients are allowed to lay on their side with appropriate cushioning after 7 days, but be careful, this may only work in Hawaii.

Sleeping on your side after Tummy tuck and breast lift and augmentation

If you maintain no pressure on any of the incisions or place them under any undue tension, then sleeping on your side after the surgeries that you underwent is probably fine. I must stress, though, that you should absolutely address this question to the operating surgeon. He/she is the ultimate guide in your postoperative recovery period. Good luck and fare well.

When to Sleep on your Side after a TT

It is fine to sleep in the fetal position starting 10-14 days after an Abdominoplasty.  You DON’T want to roll over onto your stomach!  I have my patients “spoon” a pillow to help prevent them from rolling over.  The ideal place to sleep for the first 2-3 days is actually a “LazyBoy” style recliner chair.  The chairs are comfortable keeping you in the relaxed bent position, and the solid arm-rests will prevent you from rolling on your side.

Dr.B

Sleeping After Mommy Makeover

Hello. You should consult your doctor, but you should be able to start sleeping on your side at ten days.

Jaime Perez, MD
Mommy Makeover Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Sleeping on Side After Tummy Tuck

You should check in with your surgeon. That bein said it's probably alright to begin to at least angle yourself partially onto your side.

Sleeping on Side after surgery

Consult with your Plastic Surgeon for his instructions.  I see no reason why you cannot sleep on your side.  Be sure to cushion yourself with pillows for the most comfort.  Always wear your binder until your surgeon tells you otherwise.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

10 days postop

I'd recommend you still lie on your back.  You don't want to place added pressure on your breast accidentally while lying on your side.  This could definitely affect your healing and result.  But, you need to talk to your PS to get his input.

I'm sure you'll love your results! Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Sleeping position after mommy makeover

I recommend you lie on your back in the recliner or lawn chair position to not put any tension on your tummy incision.  If you are ten days after surgery, your surgeon may clear you to sleep on your side.  But I'd still tell you to keep your waist flexed.  Please talk to your PS about his/her specific recommendations

Dr. Kim

Side Sleeping after a Tummy Tuck

In most cases it should be safe to sleep on ones side 10 days after a tummy tuck.  However, check with your surgeon to see if this would be appropriate in your case.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon