Safety of Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck Done Together? (photo)

Having a Breast reduction on August 9th which is covered by insurance. I am 27yrs 5'5" about 176lbs with DDD cup breasts. I have 2 little boys and now left with big stretch marks and a sagging tummy. Can't afford a tummy tuck but now lately thinking I should do it with the breast reduction- how safe is this with recovery n complications? would combining eliminate extra hospital, anesthesia,etc cost and only paid out of pocket for the surgeon fee? Which do I need, mini or full tummy tuck?

Routinely Performed

Combining a tummy tuck and breast reduction in one surgery is very common allowing you to undergo only one surgery and only one recovery period. While your recovery may be a bit more intense than if you had only one treatment done, it won't be overly complicated. You'll probably be able to get back to work in about 2 weeks or so. While pricing depends on the surgeon, you can probably get a discount by combining the two, since you may be able to save on anesthesia and surgical facility fees.

Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  Breast Reductions and Tummy Tucks are often combined in a single surgery and this combination of procedures is commonly referred to as the 'Mommy Makeover'.  Combining these procedures at one time and into a single surgery is often ideal for patients because it means one anesthesia and one recovery period (including time off from work).  While your recovery might be slightly more intense with two procedures rather than the one, most patients are quite comfortable and back to work in 7-10 days.  As far as pricing is concerned, it is hard to say whether or not you would eliminate a huge cost when compared to having the procedures done separately, but you would theoretically save on paying for two surgical and two anesthesia fees.  I would recommend discussing the potential of adding a full tummy tuck with your operating surgeon and any additional fees or recovery that adding a tummy tuck may require.  Best of luck!

Tummy tuck and breast reduction combined

Thank you for your question. A tummy tuck and breast reduction are great procedures to combine as they address some of big changes that happen after pregnancy or weight changes. It is often referred to as a mommy makeover. It is a bigger procedure and may often require a night in the hospital. I would consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options in more detail, review if there are any medical reasons to stage the procedure. If they deem you are healthy to have have the combined procedure, then you will only have one recovery.

Combination of Tummy Tuck & Breast Reduction Is A Frequently Performed Procedure

The combination of abdominoplasty and breast reduction is frequently performed in a single setting. When these operations are performed together, safety has to be the first priority.

For this reason, we believe it’s important to minimize the length of these operative procedures. An experienced surgeon, first assistant and surgical team that focus on efficiency can minimize the length of the procedure and reduce the potential for complications.

The advantages of this approach are obvious and include improved synergy and harmony which improves the overall aesthetic result. Patients experience one recovery rather then multiple recoveries and they potentially save money when the procedures are done in combination.

Combination surgery is not for everyone. Some patients may have co-existing health problems which prevent this approach. If you’re considering this approach, it’s important that you discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to help you formulate an appropriate surgical plan.

Safety of Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck Combination Surgery?

Combination surgical procedures are done on a routine basis. However,  it is best to evaluate each patient on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY  of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance.  Factors such as selection of plastic surgeon,  exact procedures planned, estimated blood loss, duration of surgery,  recovery considerations, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility are all important  considerations.

Simultaneous Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck

I routinely do not perform breast reduction and abdominoplasty simultaneously because of prolonged anesthetic time beyond 6 hours.  From your photographs, you certainly need a full tummy tuck, which takes approximately 3 hours.  I routinely reinforce abdominoplasties with mesh on women not planning any future pregnancies.  The advantage of mesh is weight reduction and maintenance of the lost weight.  I do combine other procedures when the duration of the surgery is less than 6 hours to reduce patient cost.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Combined procedures are safe

Depending on your overall health status, combined cosmetic surgery procedures are safe.  Please make sure your procedure will be performed in a fully accredited surgical facility or hospital.  Make sure that your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Also ask your PS if an overnight stay will be required/recommended.  Best of luck.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Safety of mommy makeover surgery

Mommy makeover is usually a combination surgery of breasts and abdomen.  This can be done safely as long as your are medically healthy and the surgery is performed by an experienced plastic surgeon at an accredited surgery center/hospital.  Postoperative complication can be minimized by following your plastic surgeon's postoperative instructions and ambulating soon after the surgery.  In regards to mini vs. full tummy tuck, you will have a better result from full tummy tuck.  Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Breast Reduction with Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.    The primary advantage of performing a breast reduction with a tummy tuck is a single recovery period.  It is possible to receive discounted anesthesia and facility fee rates by combining procedures.   I would only recommend this if you are set on having a tummy tuck at some point in the near future.

In regards to your abdomen, you will most definitely require a full tummy tuck.   I find the muscle repair portion of this procedure to involve the most soreness.  I would recommend 3 weeks off work and 6 weeks before return to normal activity if you perform both procedures.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery. 

Paul S. Gill, MD

Tummy tucks and breast reductions can be done together

but your doctor should really help guide you through this.  A traditional breast reduction using an anchor incision will decrease blood supply to your tummy and potentially contribute to complications.  Vertical lollipop reductions would certainly be safer. 

In addition, traditional tummy tucks with wide undermining places you at increased risks for complications and a lipoabdominoplasty procedure with discontinuous undermining would certainly be better at preserving your blood supply.

Facilities will charge their cosmetic fees so the main advantage of doing them together would be one anesthesia at potentially increased risks for blood clots in your legs.  Doing them separately would allow revisions of your first procedure during the second procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD