Why are there no results from my first IPL?

I had pigmentation/freckle removed on my chest. The spots were already brown before. After the treatment, my doc said they looked more brown. 6 days later, no improvement.

Results after IPL

Thank you for your question bellelewis1. IPL is a great treatment to address sun damage. It can be used on the face or other areas such as the chest. Most people require a series of three to six treatments and full results are seen a month after the final treatment. Patience is important. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

IPL requires multiple treatments

IPL treatments are usually done in a series.  This is the reason why you may not notice a significant change from the initial treatment. Depending on the area being treated, it may take multiple treatments to achieve the type of appearance you are looking for. Please discuss your treatment plan and the expected outcome with your provider.  

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL Results

Hi, thank you for your question.  Sometimes the settings and intensity are conservative for the first treatment.  This is to prevent burns.  IPL's should always be done in a series of treatments.  On average, 3 to 5 treatments are typical.   Even though you did not see any improvement I would recommend returning to the same practice for a followup and for a second treatment.  They can address your concerns at that time.  Hang in there.  Hope this helps.   Good luck

Grant Stevens, MD

IPL and Results

I tend to go toward doing fraxel over IPL or IPL combined with other treatments to get best outcomes.  Dr. Emer.