IPL or VBeam for Broken Blood Vessels?

I have tiny broken blood vessels around my nose and moustache area. I am wondering what the pros and cons are of IPL and Vbeam. What is the realistic downtime with each laser and which is most effective for blood vessels? I had one vbeam treatment about a month and a half ago and although the vbeam did show pretty good results, I need another treatment or two. I read all this stuff about no time with vbeam but I had redness that definitely lasted about 3-4 weeks to fully subside.

V-Beam and IPL for blood vessels NYC

I have both systems in my office to help remove blood vessels. I prefer the V-Beam laser for the type of redness that you are describing. Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

IPL or Vbeam

Both Vbeam and IPL are effective for treatment of facial veins and can achieve similar results in experienced hands. Both require multiple treatments and avoidance of sun exposure. 

Vbeam is an extremely effective predictable procedure for treatment of facial veins. Downtime does includes redness/and or bruising that typically last 4-10 days. Prolonged redness may occur with continued use of anti-oxidants such as retinoids and alpha-hydroxy acids. 

IPL is a customizable full facial treatment for conditions such as skin discoloration, sun damage, facial veins, textural concerns and rosacea. Some patients experience a little redness after their treatments, but it typically fades within hours or, at most, overnight.

Ultimately, speak with your provider regarding the prolonged redness for further investigation. Without a photo it is difficult to give a recommendation. A calming cream can be used post procedure to help with the redness. Best of luck!

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vbeam better for vascular conditions

Vbeam is a pulsed dye laser which is the gold standard for vascular conditions such as rosacea and broken capillaries.  While IPL can help improve redness and other brown discoloration, the more effective option is the Vbeam.  You can expect greater improvements with fever treatments. But you may still require anywhere from 2 to 5 treatments for optimum correction.  There is also another option such as the Cutera Excel V which combines a KTP 532 laser with a 1064 yag.  Either one of these treatment options is a good option for vascular conditions.

ALl the best
Dr Soni

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician