Acrylic nails and nail polish during surgery?

Scheduled for a tummy tuck, lipo and breast augmentation for October 14th. I have acrylic nails on, with gel nail polish. Do I just need th polish removed or should I plan on removing my acrylic nails as well?

Monitoring Oxygen Levels during Surgery

The reason that some anesthesiologists ask that you remove nail polish or acrylic nails is to be able to monitor the oxygen levels in your blood while you are asleep. The polish or acrylic can block the signal to the machine and not allow it to function. There are different makes and models of pulse oximetry machines (the machine that actually measure the oxygen levels), and they have different types of probes that can go on fingers, toes, or earlobes and it depends on which type they have available.

Also, the specific surgery you are having makes a difference – it your surgeon needs to access your legs for liposuction, the toe probe may not be an option, or if you are getting a facelift, he ear is out and you may be stuck with a probe on your finger. It would be best to contact your plastic surgeon’s office and they can give you a clear answer on this. Usually, there are ways to work around it so you don’t have to ruin your manicure. 

Nails

You should removing the acrylic nails and polish.  During your surgery, the level of oxygen in your blood is measured with a device that shines a light through the nail of your fingers or toes.  Nail polish or an acrylic nail can interfere with this device.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Acrylic nails

I agree with my colleagues in the sense that acrylic nails do harbor more bacteria than normal nails,  And can make getting a oxygen reading more difficult. However we do not request that patients remove nail polish in my practice. We have been able to place the oxygen monitoring equipment on patient's toes and earlobes and obtain readings that are accurate. I would discuss your particular situation with your surgeon and see with their preference is.

Thanks for your question! We usually recommend patients to not wear any type of nail polish during surgery.  Nail polish decreases the ability for the pulse oximetry to pick up your oxygen level during surgery.  If you really want to have nail polish, try to have a light colored nail polish or remove nail polish from 1-2 fingers.  

Acrylic nails and gels

I wish more patients would not only ask but comply with the requests.  Nail polish, nor acrylics, nor gels are acceptable.  In the operating room setting, we utilize your fingers to monitor your blood oxygen levels.  Most women come with cold hands which makes readings poor and require the probes to be moved through out surgery, especially the longer ones, including your toes.  Acrylic nails are very dirty and harbor millions of microbes that are not good to have around incisions.  Gels lift which cause microbes to grow in the spaces we cannot see.  Even if you are constantly washing your hands, it has been proven the germinal rate is significantly higher.  You should and all patients should refrain from any artificial nails until surgery and healing is commenced.

Dr. Lane F. Smith.

Lane Smith, MD

Acrylic nails and surgery

Typically we suggest not wearing any nail polish or acrylics on each index finger of both hands. That way the pulse oximetry device can accurately show your oxygen intake. Every surgeon and office is different, so be sure to ask your board certified plastic surgeon what he/she prefers.

Thank you for your question!

Best to check with your plastic surgeon, but probably a good idea to have a few digits available to allow your anesthesiologist to place monitors. Best wishes for a safe procedure and a speedy recovery.

Acrylic nails or nail polish during surgery?

Hi,

Best to ask what the policy is at the facility. Most often than not, it doesn't matter if you have either of the above. The device used to measure the oxygen level in your blood during surgery can be placed on a toe or the ear lobe. A simple phone call to your PS office can clarify this.

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Acrylic nails and surgery

I f you are happy with your acrylic nails, you should not have to remove any of them.  If they interfere with pulse oxymmetry, just ask the surgeon to place the sensor on you big toe.  Problem solved

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Acrylic Nails, Nail Polish, and a Mommy Makeover

The main concern about acrylic nails and nail polish is the impact on the function of a pulse oximeter, which measures the oxygen level of the blood. The answer is neither makes much difference.

A pulse oximeter fits like a clothes pin (except it's more comfortable!) over the end of a finger (or a toe or an earlobe). One part of the clip emits both infrared and red light, and the other side of the clip has a light detector. The oxygenated blood absorbs less red light, but more infrared, than de-oxygenated blood. Pulse oximetry is routinely used in surgery to monitor the patient's breathing.

Two studies published by the National Institutes of Health looked at the impact of acrylic nails and nail polish on the function of pulse oximetry. They concluded that neither acrylic nails nor nail polish had a significant impact. 

However, you should ask your plastic surgeon about the policy of the surgical facility. They may still ask that you remove your acrylic nails or your nail polish.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon