Will 450 Cc's Silicone Implants Make a B Cup to a D Cup?

I am 135 lbs, 5'7" tall. I was told that 450cc's in each breast will bring me from a B to a D. Is this correct?

Cup of Breast

This is a very common question. The reality is there is no way to determine what YOUR cup size will be for a few reasons.
First, cup size is determined by each store and even in each store you will find different cups that fit you. For example, Victoria's Secret has different lines and each line has a slightly different fit. There is even a store in Manhattan that will tell you you are a C cup even if you are flat chested just to give you an ego boost.
Second, each patient likes a cup size that fits HER best in her own opinion. I've had patients who are clearly in the A cup range who don't mind "swimming" in their big bras filled with "chicken cutlets" and I've had other patients who were clearly in the D cup range who like the look of "popping out" of their bras so they wear B cup bras.
Since cup size is both made up by stores and based on the individual style of the patient, it is impossible to predict.
With that said, I use cup size as an idea of what style patients want. Meaning, if a patient is an A cup and says "I want a D," it's a certain implant, whereas the same patient saying "I want a B" is a different implant.
Hope that helps.
Dr. Freiman

450 cc implants - how do cc's translate to cup size?

450 cc breast implants will be quite large. if your goal is a natural appearing result you may want to consider smaller breast implants. I have attached a link to my breast augmentation before and after gallery so you can get a sense of what I believe to be natural looking results from breast augmentation. 

Over and over I hear patients remark, after reviewing some of our `before and after' photos, that they had no idea that a breast augmentation could look so natural. It can, and in my opinion it should. Having practiced plastic surgery in the 'breast augmentation capital of the world' (Los Angeles), and having performed hundreds of breast augmentations a year in North Carolina for patients who are seeking a breast enhancement that looks like it actually is a natural part of their body, I have developed some fairly strong opinions about this operation.
The actual size of a breast implant, measured in cc's, is really not very descriptive of what a breast augmentation will look like, or what the cup size will be. It is all relative to the size of the breast and the size of the patient preoperatively. A tall, broad-shouldered patient with small A-cup breasts may require 450cc implants to achieve a C-cup breast volume postoperatively, while a shorter patient with medium B-cup breasts may only need a 250cc implant to achieve a C-cup breast volume.
The size of the implant is very important, but most important is selecting a surgeon with expertise in creating a natural looking result by creating the ideal pocket, selcting the ideal size and shape of an implant for a woman.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Probably too big!

To Jen Bubblegum,

Hi! All the guess work can be taken out! Show your surgeon a picture of D cup breasts that you think are great.

Then, DURING surgery, what I do is put in disposable implant SIZERS. Then we try different volumes to see which size produces the look you want, or as close to it as possible. Then, and only then, we open the correct permanent implants. This step takes only a few minutes, and a sizer only costs $45. So it is really worth it.

As a guess, I would say you need 350 cc implants. But that is just an educated guess. That's the point of the sizers: no guess.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Why To Not Go By Cup Size

Cup sizes cannot be guaranteed. And the amount of volume to get a woman from one cup size to another varies from person to person.

About 120 - 140 cc’s is a bra cup size. This may be more or less depending on the patient’s measurements.

Imagine lying on your back and drawing a circle around your breast. If you draw a line across that circle, it will be a given length. (The length of a circle is called a “diameter”.) This is a measurement that your plastic surgeon will take. The length of this area of your chest is called the “base width diameter” (BWD).

For women, the base width diameter ranges from 9.5 cm to 16.5 cm (3.75 inches to 6.5 inches). As you can see, there is a very wide range.

A smooth breast implant is circular, and has the same measurement as your BWD. So if your BWD is 12 cm, that tells us that your implant cannot be more than 12 cm. It won’t fit. So the BWD determines the max size of the implant, length-wise.

Think about just how wide a range you see in women’s body types, shapes, and frames. That’s why the base width diameter in women can range from 9.5 cm to 16.5 cm.

A smaller implant gets filled up with less volume. It’s common sense. If your BWD is 11 cm, the high profile implant will have 265 cc’s. If your BWD is 14 cm, the high profile implant will have 605 cc’s.

In other words, 265 cc’s and 605 cc’s will have the similar cup size for a difference in BWD. The cc is relative to BWD.

Therefore, to come close to answering your question, a plastic surgeon needs to measure your BWD. Then you should model how that implant will look on your body.

When I opened my private practice, the first thing I did was invest in a $41,000 device called the Vectra 3D. It is a must-have tool for getting patients ideal results.

The Vectra takes a 3D photograph of your torso and breasts. Then, the 3D photo appears on a computer screen. On the screen, we can create accurate simulations of what your breasts will look like with different implant shapes and sizes. This will give you a realistic image of what you’ll look like after breast augmentation surgery.

You can experiment with the different implant options until you find the one you are happy with. Being able to see the results with your own eyes, beforehand, is the best way to communicate your desired look with your doctor. It takes out so much guesswork, especially about breast implant shapes, sizes, and volume (cc).

Now here’s a fact about describing your goals: words can only take us so far. Very often, what a patient thinks, says, and truly wants are all different. You need to SEE what your implant will look like, on your unique body, to confidently say, “This is the perfect implant for me!”

That’s the beauty of the Vectra. It is a visual tool that creates accurate expectations and ensures the best communication. It will cast away your doubts and fears about choosing the right implant.

That’s why the Vectra is a critical investment for any practice. It is extremely important for giving patients results they know they'll be happy with.

Every patient describes their goals differently, in terms of how many cup sizes they want to go up, or, they have pictures to show.

And, almost every patient tells me, “I don’t want to look fake.” By now, you know that as long as we stay in your measurements, you will have a beautiful, natural result that fits your body.

I hope that answers your question on implant sizes. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

It's Impossible to Translate Cup Size into CCs

One of the most important decisions facing breast augmentation patients is the size of breast implants that will be used. Most patients are striving for harmony, balance, and proportion with the surrounding anatomic structures. Typically they want a natural look with some fullness in the upper breast area.
Most patients tend to speak in terms of cup size. Unfortunately cup size is not always helpful because manufacturers of bras label their products differently and women don’t always wear their bras the same way. In other words, some women wear their bras snugly, while others wear them loosely. This creates communication problems when talking cup size. It’s virtually impossible to translate cup size into CC’s for this reason.
In an effort to determine breast size in an objective manner, we utilize external silicone sizers and the Vectra 3D computer imaging system. External silicone sizers are designed to sit on top of the patient’s breasts. They can be held against the patient’s chest or placed inside the patient’s bra. This technique helps the patient visualize what their breasts will look like with a specific sized implant. It also gives them a sense of the volume that will sit on their chest wall and how it feels.
The Vectra 3D imaging system is a relatively new technology that we’ve found to be extremely helpful for determining breast implant size. This system allows patients to visualize different sized implants on their actual body. Patients find this to be extremely helpful.
The ability to visualize your projected surgical result alleviates much of the anxiety associated with this procedure. The use of external sizers and the Vectra 3D imaging system accomplishes this goal. It’s important to remember that final adjustments in the size of breast implants will ultimately be made in the operating room depending on anatomic factors.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size to move from B to D cup

There is not a direct correlation between breast implant size and cup size as the cup size varies greatly among companies and even within the same company. Moreover, cup size can vary based on who is performing the measurement.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Implant Selection Process

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant sizing

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 

It will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Implant choices

It ia hard to say if a 450 cc implant is the right size for you, it probably would put you into the large D size, but without an exam it is hard to say.

B to D cup breast implants

First some questions:

1. How old are you?
  2. Reproductive History?
  3. Did you nurse?
  4. Quality of breast skin and size of areolae?
  5. Are your breasts pendulous?

Questions about cup size depend upon individual concepts of balence, equilibrium and harmony (esthetic). In my experience in 35 yrs, I would use something smaller - REMEMBER: today's asset is tomorrow's deficit.

Barry H. Dolich, MD (Retired)
Bronx Plastic Surgeon