Is it possible to stay close to the same breast size after a lift and implants?

I am a 34D cup and would like a breast lift and implants, but I don't want my breasts that much bigger at all. I don't want to just get a lift because I do like the look of implants. Is it possible to stay close to the same size after putting the implant in?

Breast surgery

Thank you for your question. Yes, you must discuss your wishes and the plan with your plastic surgeon.

Breast lift with implants and maintaining current breast size

Dear MHaigh,
It is certainly possible to retain the same overall breast size that you currently have with a breast lift and breast augmentation.  In general, the breast size decreases by about 10% when a lift is performed simply due to the removal of skin and the tightening effect.  This would accommodate a small implant for you.  If your breast appearance and body characteristics call for a larger implant, then some breast tissue can be removed with the lift to accommodate it.  Good luck!

Yes it is possible using the newer vertical mastopexy techniques to remove some of the normal breast tissue during the breast lift to allow for breast implants to be placed under the muscle and maintain the same breast size.

Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon if they perform a vertical mastopexy using a superior medial pedicle technique with resection  of  breast tissue from the inferior pole.

Breast lift with implants

Hello and thank you for your question. Many patients ask me this same question.  A small implant with the lift can help give the upper pole fullness you are looking for without dramatically increasing the size of your breasts.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Implants and lift

You would have to be seen in person. But if you want that implant look above, then likely your cup size will change.

Breast lift/augmentation

A breast lift (or mastopexy) alone repositions the tissue you have to make the breast look perkier with a higher nipple position. A mastopexy alone does not change the volume of the breasts. If you are already a D cup and don't want to be bigger, a mastopexy alone may be sufficient. A breast implant augments the volume of the breast and can simultaneously lift the breast by changing the position of the nipple. Some patients require only a mastopexy to achieve their goals, some require only an augmentation, some require both. To determine what is best for you would require an examination. 

Salem Samra, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Lift

I would recommend a lift alone since adding implants will definitely increase your breast size.  Also a lift with implants can lead to more complications with healing and scarring.  To better answer this however you should post photos. 

Breast lift alone may deliver your desired look

Hi there. When a lift is done effectively, it can give a very perky and aesthetic look, which may be similar to an augmented appearance. If you are not looking for an increase in breast volume, a lift is therefore probably the right answer for you. I would arrange a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon with expertise in breast lifts for a full discussion about your options. Good luck!

Just get a great lift and you won't need an implant

My recommendation is to go to a plastic surgeon that gets beautiful results with lifts.  There are many techniques and some surgeons are just better at certain surgeries than others.  Some lift techniques give the same look as an implant depending on quality of tissue and some measurements of your tissues.  If you are a good candidate, a wonderful lift is one that uses what I call a "superior pedicle with autoaugmentation".  With this technique, I am able to use tissues that now sit between your nipple and fold and actually place it behind your breast tissue to add projection and volume.  This is the only technique that I have found consistent results to achieve this. You can also get some fat grafting to the upper pole and cleavage area to add some extra shape and volume if necessary.  It's really hard to say without seeing pictures or examining you, but with a D-cup, you should have more than enough tissue to mold a beautiful breast.  Hope this helps.

-JGH

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD