How long must I wait after quitting smoking for a BL/BA?

Smoking and surgery, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
In my practice I recommend to my patients to stop smoking a month before the procedure and persist without smoking 2 months after surgery.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Smoking cessation

Ideally, a month before and after. This is an ideal motivation to quit altogether. Nicotine causes breakdown of healing and should be avoided in all forms.

Smoking and surgery

I usually have patients stop 3-4 weeks before surgery and remind off during the healing process. Best of luck.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... I have to say that you have to be careful about skin necrosis and everything related to that condition. It is better to stop smocking before a month or two before surgery, and then have oxygen treatments before and after surgery, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Smoking

Ideally 2-4 weeks before and a month after.

No smoking includes no nicotine gums or patches either.

Smoking and timing of breast lift with implants

For a combined breast lift with implants (mastopexy/augmentation), I tell my own patients that they need to be nicotine-free for at least six weeks - so no cigarettes, no gum, no patches, no vaping, and avoid secondhand smoke as well.  

Because this surgery essentially rearranges your breast tissue and creates a lot of incisions, nicotine in any form is a concern because it can affect your body's ability to heal and achieve the great result that you and your surgeon have planned.  

It's great that you're thinking ahead and carefully about your surgery and healing.  Make sure to have a frank discussion about this with your own surgeon - again, no one is making any judgement here about smoking, just that no one wants to face a dead nipple or a giant wound if it can be avoided.

Hope this is helpful, and best of luck.  You can do it.
Dr. Lim

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Smoking

Effects of nicotine can linger for weeks and still impair wound healing. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon and seeing what her/his policy is on smoking. Good luck! MMT

Smoking cessation

Thank you for your question. I insist that my patients stop all forms of nicotine for at least 6 weeks prior to a breast lift and stay off for at least 4 weeks afterwards. The risk of wound healing complications with any form of nicotine in your system goes up dramatically with a breast lift and you have a higher risk of nipple numbness or skin loss. Good luck!

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon