NeoGraft vs. FUE?

What are the differences and advantages/disadvantages of both?

Neograft vs. FUE

Neograft is a tool used to perform FUE procedures. It creates the punch and then there is a vacuum assist which sucks the graft out into a holding chamber.

The disadvantage is the following:

Doctor's who do not specialize in Hair Restoration surgery purchasing a Neograft and having unlicensed technicians (Called NeoGrafters) performing the entire surgery. This is a very common practice in Neograft clinics and something to watch out for.

Also, most Neograft cases I see come into my clinic, it seems that the largest punch is used (1.2mm) to make the surgery easier leaving scarring in the back of the patients scalp. In comparison, I do most of my FUE cases with a 0.7mm punch which minimizes any scarring and leaves me with small grafts which can be placed closer to each other giving a much more natural look and density.

My personal opinion also is that the Neograft puts additional stress on the follicles during the vacuum phase and while sitting in the graft chamber vs extraction manually with forceps. I personally prefer to extract the grafts manually and place them immediately in hypothermosol solution chilled at 4 degrees Celsius.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Follicular Unit Extraction

Neograft is a machine that assists with follicular unit extraction (FUE) -- it helps the surgeon remove units of hairs one by one.  ARTAS is another robotic assisted machine that removes hair units one by one via the follicular unit extraction (FUE) technique as well.  So, FUE is typically performed with the assistance of one of these machines.  Placing the grafts is still highly dependent on the skill of the team involved.  Both are great and produce similar results while avoiding the strip incision used in the FUT technique.  Consult with a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist to discuss your options in person. I wish you well!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neograft! FUE

Neograft is an instrument that does FUE. There are a number of other instruments used to perform FUE. They are only as good as the sklls of the person doing the operation. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi there. I think that you might have meant to ask what the difference is between Neograft (The technology used to perform FUE) and FUT (Otherwise known as the "strip method")I would say the basic difference is that Neograft/FUE has little to no down time as far as healing goes, and does not leave a scar. The strip method does still have its uses but it does leave a scar. I hope this kind of helps. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Advantage of FUE is that is done without an incision, leaving no visible linear scar.

Follicular unit extraction (FUE) is a specific procedure in which individual follicles of hair are removed from a donor site and then transplanted in the areas of thinning hair. NeoGraft is a specific instrument that physicians use to carry out FUE procedures. The real advantage of utilizing a FUE procedure is that the hair follicles are extracted and transplanted without an incision, leaving no visible linear scar.

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Follicular Unit Extraction

Follicular Unit Extraction is a great NeoGraft technique. In fact, we have found it is the most effective hair transplant system as it provides naturally growing hair follicles to scalp areas that previously held non-growing and unhealthy follicles. FUE allows for the harvesting of individual follicles from the donor area without a scalpel incision or the necessary stitches and therefore leaves no linear scar.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depends on if you're talking about the PATIENT or the DOCTOR's advantage.

Neograft is a FUE instrument so you can't talk about the advantage or disadvantage.

Doctors who perform the FUE procedure pick and choose the instrument of their choice (Neograft is just one of them).

THE RESULTS depend on the doctor, not the tool (not Neograft, not ARTAS, not SAFE, not FUE)

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Neograft vs FUE

Neograft is a machine used to preform FUE technique. We believe it is the best FUE technique on the market. Hair transplantation is done under local anesthesia.  There are no scaples or sutures used. The patinets can return to work the next day. There is minimal discomfort. I have done this procedure myself and have returned to the operating room the next morning without using any pain medicines.

Neograft is FUE

Neograft is essentially a tool to perform FUE. Precise graft harvesting is readily performed with the hand piece. With consistent depth of penetration and drill speed, great grafts are obtained.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Neograft vs. FUE

There seems to be a misunderstanding about what Neograft really is.  There are doctors that advertise it as a more advanced and different technique.   Neograft is not a technique, it is FUE technique using the Neograft machine.  If you have selected an experienced hair specialist, the doctor can tell you all the pros and cons for FUE harvesting technique. They should also be able to recommend the technique based on your individual case. Since each case is different, all the possibilities have to be discussed and examined. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon