17 days post op of NeoGraft, I'm shedding many buzzed hairs. Why am I seeing hairs with bulbs on the end? (photos)

I had a NeoGraft surgery 17 days ago. I am shedding many (buzzed) hairs. Amongst the shed hairs, I notice ALOT with bulbs on the end. This is just what I see on my pillow case (which I have changed 3 times since the surgery). Why am I seeing hairs with bulbs on the end 17 days after the surgery? I was told that these should be secure by now. What would cause them to be so fragile? If I see bulbs on the end, does this mean that they are failed grafts? please help!

Shedding 17 days post op

That is completely normal and nothing to be concerned about.  Hairs shed within the first month after being transplanted.  It happens in every patient.  The body does not hang onto dead tissue for 17 days.  Anything that has lasted longer  than the first few days has survived and will regrow over the next few months.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

NeoGraft Recovery

Thank you for your question, neograftsurgery. The shedding is a natural part of the recovery process. After shedding, the new growth will begin in 3-4 months and your hair will continue to grow normally. Most importantly, your results will look healthy and natural.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Normal

It is normal to have shedding after a hair transplant surgery.  All the hairs may fall out before new hairs start to grow.  In general it takes about 6 to 12 months to see results.  As always follow up with your doctor for a recheck.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

It is normal...

...for hair to fall out at this time.  The actual follicle by this time should be implanted and ready to grow hair any time from a few months to a year.  Nothing to worry about.

Tim Neavin, MD

Shedding

This is completely normal - and is to be expected.  Although you are losing the hair shaft the seed of that transplanted follicle is still intact.  That seed will regenerate a new hair, but full growth will be seen ~12-18 months post transplant.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

17 days post op of NeoGraft, I'm shedding many buzzed hairs.

No worries!

This is a normal process. The graft is intact under the skin.  After a week or so, the graft will release the hair and rest for awhile.  After a few months, a new hair will grow.  

I went through this process myself not too long ago!  It will regrow.  

You should consider using the Reload hair care products to promote a healthy scalp and better growth.  It stimulates the growth of the new follicles.  All natural product.

Don't worry it's a normal response!

Transplanted hair follicles will enter a shedding phase where the hair shafts are shed. A new hair shaft will eventually appear. Minoxidil can be used to expedite the cycling of the transplanted follicles.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Loss of Hairs after Hair Restoration Surgery. Is this normal?

The short answer is "yes." When the hairs are planted in the recipient sites some or many of the grafts may go into a telogen or sleep phase. These hair shafts (not the entire graft) are shed. Don't worry about the little white bulb that you see. That is how you can tell it is a telogen hair. Generally, the hairs start to regrow 3-4 months after the procedure and you don't get the entire cosmetic result from your procedure for 8-12 months after the surgery. Of course, if you have any questions or problems, don't hesitate to return to the doctor who performed your hair restoration. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Shedding telogen hairs after NeoGraft

You are describing a normal telogen hair loss that occurs after all forms of hair transplant.  Hairs with telogen bulbs falling out is called telogen effluvium and is a form of stress hair loss that is seen after the surgical stress of the transplant or other emotional stresses.  It is a temporary form of hair loss that usually resolves within six months.  In addition, you should not worry because your new hair transplant follicle roots should still be intact.

Karen Stolman, MD
Sandy Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't worry

Shedding is a normal part of recovery.  The bulbs you see are not the follicle.  As long as there is no bleeding you are fine.  Follow up with your surgeon.

Adam Saad, MD
Atlantic City Plastic Surgeon