NeoGraft Hair Transplant - hairs shedding within 3 days after hair transplant.

I understand that hairs will shed after a hair transplant, as it is part of the process, however, I counted about 30 hairs on my pillow, on the 4th day after the transplant. I was under the assumption that hair shedding should not occur until weeks after the implant and at that point in time, the bulb is already safe. But within the first few days, why are these hairs falling out so early? Are these grafts lost? Any feedback is appreciated.

Hair shedding 3 days after FUE

It is not common to have hair shedding 3 days after an FUE procedure.  These are more likely grafts that did not survive as the body does not hang onto dead tissue for very long.  Usually I see patients shedding grafts at about the 2 weeks mark, but this is extremely variable.  I have not seen one of my patients to date shed grafts only 3 days after the procedure.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Shedding with NeoGraft

Shedding does not typically occur until 4 weeks after the initial procedure. However, this may vary patient to patient but is a normal process following hair transplant.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Losing hair

Hi there,Shedding this much hair so soon after the transplant is definitely unusual. I would first be sure that this is not some of your hair that you may just be losing from the area where you did not receive the transplant. But this is still alot of hairs in one night. My recommendation would be to consult with your doctor as a follow up. It never hurts to follow up with your doctor whenever you have concerns. I hope this helps

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

NeoGraft Shedding

Thakn you for your question, invest9. Hair shedding within three days after NeoGraft Hair Transplant is unusual. I am concerned that the hairs you found on your pillow are grafted hairs that were unable to take hold. I suggest you consult with the surgeon who performed your procedure to learn more about the hairs you found on your pillow.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Shedding a few days after surgery

If you are concerned that your grafts could be dislodging and/or are not taking, I would contact your operating surgeon for a follow up at your earliest convenience.  Generally speaking, the shedding phase begins somewhere between a few days to a few weeks after your procedure and this is typically a normal and expected phenomenon.  Because you are only a few days out from surgery, I would recommend contacting your doctor to discuss your experience as they would be most familiar with your particular case and provide you with their best advice.  Best of luck!

Hair shedding within 3 days?

Any patient that is having follicle transplant using NeoGraft needs to be extremely cautious of the transplant site to ensure nothing falls out.  If your hair is shedding after 3 days, I would consult with your doctor.

H. George Brennan, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Need an exam

In general your transplanted hairs will shed for a few weeks after surgery.  This is normal.  If you are worried your grafts are dislodging then this is a different matter and you should contact your doctor for a follow up exam.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair shedding after transplant

Neo graft is an instrument that is used to do FUE. Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a revival of the old punch technique obtaining donor hair with a small circular cutting instrument. These punches are used to harvest follicular units one at a time from the donor area. as the harvesting is done and also as the recipient sites are made, sometimes the client experiences shock loss. If the hair transplant doctor is specialized there are some steps that can be taken to minimize the shock loss. However, if they are not then as they are making the donor incisions and also as they are harvesting, they can damage the surrounding hair and cause hair shedding after transplant.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding post neograft

The shedding period can vary. First one must make sure that the hairs on the pillow are grafts and not other hairs that have shed. Remember we lose about 100 halogen hairs per day. Second, make sure the hairs were not cut hairs that were buzzed on the day of surgery and now just come loose. If you notice grafts on your bandages within one day of the surgery, those grafts can be placed back in the recipient site.

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Shedding

The shedding with FUE using neograft or Artas can vary a lot.  It can start within days, or within weeks, or even not happen at all.  Every patient is different, thus if you have concerns its a good idea to go in for a follow up exam. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist