Mommy Makeover: How long is surgery?

How much time will a person be under? Do most doctors put you completely out with general anesthesia? Are there any that use sedation? How long will they need to be at the hospital after surgery? Do you recommend staying overnight?

Mommy Makeover: How long is surgery?

A mommy makeover surgery (tummy tuck and breast lift and/or breast augmentation) can take between 3 to 6 hours to perform depending on the individual patient.  These procedures are usually performed under general anesthesia by an anesthesiologist.  The surgery may be performed on an outpatient basis or may require an overnight stay again depending on the size and type of mommy makeover, and the overall health of the patient.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive mommy makeover experience.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover: How long is surgery?

I would ask your surgeon as this will depend upon your anatomy, the surgeries planned, and the protocols established by your surgeon.

Mommy Makeover: How long is surgery?

Pregnancy can take a toll on a women's body. In order to help reverse some of the effects of child bearing, many women choose to have a "mommy makeover". A mommy makeover can involve ANY of the areas affected by pregnancy:  most commonly a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and breast augmentation and/or lift (mastopexy).  Other commonly requested surgical procedures include liposuction surgery and/or genitalia surgery. Duration of surgery will vary depending on exactly which procedures are performed; duration of surgery will also vary from one practice to another. The same holds true for whether patients “stay overnight” or are discharged home. It is our practice, for example, most patients are discharged home, preferably under the care of a nurse. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to mommy makeover surgeon concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Mommy makeover anasethesia and recovery.

Mommy make over ( typically breast augmentation and tummy tuck) takes 4 -6 hours. Generally it is an outpatient operation. You will need a someone to be with your for several days and nights. If your house has many stairs to the bed room, you should plan on staying on the first floor for the the fist couple of days to avoid multiple stair climbing, Patients who have many stairs to get into their house, should consider staying at  an overnight facility.

Mommy make over can be performed with IV sedation (local mac) by a physician  who is experienced with this technique. Recovery with local mac is often more comortable.

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH, FACS

Mommy Makeover

The time of surgery depends on the surgical procedures you will be submitted. The term mommy makeover includes several surgeries that can not always be performed in a single surgery. The type of anesthesia is differenet  in each surgeon, depending on which one he is use to it. Must stay overnight.

Aramis Vega, MD

Time Of Mommy Makeover

Every surgery is individualized. Typically a mommy makeover will include a tummy tuck, breast lift and/or augmentation and possibly liposuction.  Depending on the combination designed for you, the surgery will most likely take between 4-6 hours.  This is an important question for you to discuss at your consultation.  Options for anesthesia may vary but I only do this procedure under general anesthesia using board certified anesthesiologists.  I have patients stay at least the first night at the hospital in a private room for care.  Most patients opt to go home the next day with a loved one who will care for them at home. 

Larry Pollack, MD

Mommy Makeover

Depending on what surgeries you are having done a Mommy Makeover can take anywhere from 4-6 hours. We prefer to use general anesthesia when doing such a major surgery and we also recommend staying over night.  Our office sends all of our patients home with a pulse oximeter so you can make sure your oxygen levels stay in the normal range as well as a set a of sequential compression devices to help prevent blood clots.   

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon

It Depends

Depending on the type of procedure and the surgeon or surgeons involved, a mommy makeover may take as little as 4 hours to as long as 8 hours.  In my practice, I have the luxury to have another board certified plastic surgeon whom I "tag team" all of the mommy makeover surgeries with and they take much less time.  Less anesthesia time and less operating room time leading to a faster recovery.
We also do the single incision mommy makeover which only uses one incision for both a tummy tuck and a breast augmentation. 

The length of surgery time for mommy makeover depends on the combination of procedures.

I usually limit operating time to 6 hours with a mommy makeover. Almost all patients are kept overnight in the facility. All patients are done under general anesthesia.

Mommy Makeover Length of Surgery

Mommy makeovers involve various combinations of proceudres to improve the breasts, abdomen, hips, back, arms, legs, buttocks, etc.  Depending on your specific plan the surgical time can vary, but we generally have an upper limit of 6 hours to optimize safety and a quick recovery.

Combination procedures are safe and very effective in the right hands. The surgeon HAS to be an expert in EACH procedure and must have a lot of experience in performing combination procedures and can minimize the operative time. For example, we work in a team and would take around 4-5 hours for the complete operation. His allows us to get better results with less surgical time and less trauma. Our patients are typically wlking the same day and tapering off of pain medications by 4-5 days. By a week, our internattional patients are generally touring around town enjoying tourist activities.

Combination procedures can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.