How painful is a Mommy Makeover?

On a scale of 1 to 10, what do your patients usually tell you? What amount of pain can a person expect to be in the day after surgery, week and month after? Are there any ways to minimize pain without medication?

Recovery After a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing. But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit. 
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #asymmetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

How painful is a Mommy Makeover?

I would ask your surgeon as this will depend upon your anatomy, the surgeries planned, and the protocols established by your surgeon.

Pain from a Mommy Makeover

Everyone has different pain tolerance levels so it is hard to tell you on a scale what your pain will be.  There is a numbing shot called Exparel that I have been using in my tummy tuck patients that helps cosiderably with post operative pain.  It is a numbing injection (non-narcotic) that lasts for about 3 days.  This will help you take less pain medication. 

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make over post operative pain.

Mommy make over is typically a breast augmentation combined with a tummy tuck.  Post operative pain is dependent on many factors. One, your personal pain tolerance, two, the skill of your surgeon, and the type of procedure performed. Additionally anesthesia technique can contribute to post operative comfort, when pain pumps are used.

Tummy tucks without drains are typically more comfortable, as are lipo-abominoplasties as there is limited dissection with this procedure.

There is generally more pain if you have your surgery at the time of your period, also, if the dentist has a difficult time numbing you,you might expect more post operative pain. Patients with frequent use of recreational pharmaceuticals require more pain medicine,

When these procedures are performed with IV sedation or local mac, numbing medicine is injected at the beginning of the procedure and recovery is more comfortable.

Yours,

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH, FACS

Plastic Surgery

Newport Beach, CA

Pain experienced by mommy makeover patients is diverse.

A mommy makeover is a combination of operations you need to each patient. Because of different personalities as well as different operations patients can suffer differently. However all patients should be up and moving about the day after the operation.

Mommy Makeover does not have to be painful!

Mommy makeovers involve various combinations of proceudres to improve the breasts, abdomen, hips, back, arms, legs, buttocks, etc after childbirth.

Combination procedures are safe and very effective in the right hands. The surgeon HAS to be an expert in EACH procedure and must have a lot of experience in performing combination procedures and can minimize the operative time. For example, we work in a team and would take around 4-5 hours for the complete operation. This approach can offer better results with less surgical time and less trauma. Our patients are typically walking the same day and tapering off of pain medications by 4-5 days. By a week, our internattional patients are generally touring around Cartagena enjoying the sites of this UNSECO World Heritage City.

Combination procedures can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Pain Management After a Mommy Makeover

There are many good techniques that can be used to minimize pain after a Mommy Makeover and that can reduce the use of narcotics.  There are local anesthetics that can be injected at the time of surgery, regional nerve blocks, long acting local anesthetics, and "pain pumps" that infuse local anesthetic for several days.  Mind set is a critical component of dealing with discomfort. Being happy about choosing a self improvement helps many people put up with the stress with greater confidence. Learning relaxation or bio feedback techniques in advance may help to make the experience a good one.  Discuss a plan with your surgeon.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

How painful is a mommy make-over?

A mommy make-over means different things to different people.  Different patients also have markedly different levels of pain and pain tolerance.  A complete tummy tuck does have some temporary pain if the skin is adequately tightened.  But, it is well worth it.

Kenneth D. Christman, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Pain

Compared to the pain of childbirth, a mommy makeover is usually not that bad.  Most of my patients would rate it as a 4-6.  Every patient is different but the pain is worst shortly after the surgery and will gradually improve.  There may be different sensations of pain throughout the recovery period. 

The technique of the surgeon will influence the degree of pain after surgery.  I always inject a significant dose of long acting local anesthetic in the skin and into the area of muscle plication.  This seems to reduce pain significantly.  If the initial pain can be reduced, the need for medications such as narcotics that cause nausea, vomiting and grogginess can be reduced.  This speeds up recovery for most patients. 

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

How painful is a Mommy Makeover?

Although, a mommy makeover is a significant surgery and does result in some post operative pain, there are a number of good treatments to alleviate this pain.  These include oral pain medications, long acting local anesthetics  (Exparel), or pain pumps (On-Q Pain Pump).   Compression garments can also help minimize pain. Talk with your surgeon about the options they use in their practice and which ones may work best in your case.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon